Frozen Beer is it still ok?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nightwolf1532

Reaction score
Had an issue with my temperature regulator so my beer froze. The 3 bottles i had broke, the kegs apear to be fine and stilll hold pressure the beer didn't completely freeze just a nice slushy. So the question is, is once it thaws and i am asumming re-carbonates will it still be good? Please help!

Not an expert, but I can say this. They do make eisbocks by freezing the fermented uncarbed beer and skimming off the slushy. This makes good beer.

I would say worst thing that can happen is that you get off flavors. And by off flavors I mean a different flavor, not even necessarily bad.

I froze a whole carboy. The beer turned out great. If there is yeast in the keg, I would transfer off. The yeast cells will have likely burst.

It should be totally fine. I went a bit overboard on cold crashing once but it was totally fine after thawing it out.
frozen.jpg

40watt said:
I froze a whole carboy. The beer turned out great. If there is yeast in the keg, I would transfer off. The yeast cells will have likely burst.

+1 on removing sediment on the bottom.

No problem. I freeze my beer 2 times by mistake. I bottled them and they're same with my others.

So, just to ask (please be gentle)... temperatures dropped to -20 c here last night. My marzen is fine, but a lager I had in the garage (with lower ABV obviously) started to go slushy on top. I caught it in time and brought the carboy in. It's warming up now, it was time to a diacetyl rest anyways. Should I get it off the yeast cake, or leave it? The ice never formed (meaning the liquid part remained above 0 c) and given it's a lager yeast, all should be well right??

Latest posts

Back