From storage room to small brewery

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Oberlutz

Reaction score
After a year of brewing in a garage, where we shared the space with motorbikes, bikes, lawnmower, flowers and even garbage bags, we decided to build a dedicated brewery.

We got the OK to remodel a bairbone storage room. The goal of this room was to make a small brewery fitted to our needs as a small brewing club with a self build 50l (13Gallon) eBIAB set up.
WhatsApp Image 2017-11-12 at 14.24.28.jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2018-02-17 at 13.25.38.jpeg

None of us got any real construction expirience apart from woodworking. So we were in to a lot of trial end error during the year long building process. We surely could have been quicker, but it was a fun project which we didnt want to force.

WhatsApp Image 2018-02-17 at 19.37.31.jpeg
WhatsApp Image 2018-08-27 at 20.23.45.jpeg
WhatsApp Image 2018-11-06 at 16.22.02.jpeg

The two biggest challenges where for us to get the floor level and getting water in and out of the room. With the help of two skilled friends we were able to pour in a new cement floor including a small floor drain and to install the plumbing.

WhatsApp Image 2018-11-10 at 13.55.17.jpeg
WhatsApp Image 2018-11-10 at 16.19.00.jpeg

Thanks a lot guys! It surely is a huge improvment over a garage or a driveway, mainly because its now possible to brew in cold or harsh weather without cleaning everything outside with a cold gardenhose.
I hope our having a cold after brewing stat will go significantly lower.

Awsome

What do you use the big blue drums for?

We use the drums for storing whole bags of malt. Base malts like marris otter, pilsner and wheat we have on hand. Useually we order just the right amount of special malt.
The drums are quite nice, they are food safe and are quite easy to handle.

Last edited:
We use the drums for storing whole bags of malt. Base malts like marris otter, pilsner and wheat we have on hand. Useually we order just the right amount of special malt.
The drums are quite nice, they are food safe and are quite easy to handle.

Cool - that makes sense
I thought maybe they were larger fermentors
Seeing as they are food safe, have you used them to ferment before?

Cool - that makes sense
I thought maybe they were larger fermentors
Seeing as they are food safe, have you used them to ferment before?

Haven't even been thinking about that. I heard that some farmers use them for making fruit mashings for liquor production.
If they fit in our freezer/fermentation chamber it maybe would be worth the try. Thanks!

Back