Fridge for kegerator?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cnoyes

Reaction score
I'm trying to get into kegging but am having a hard time finding a cheap, used fridge. Anybody know either what's the best store to go to (Walmart, Best Buy, etc), or website with good deals?

Look for scratched and dented ones at the standard stores. You can often get a good price as people don't like to have dents and scratchs in their sleek refridgerators.

I bought a standard fridge at Sear in the scratch and dent (scratched and broken handle) for just over $200. Brand new, energy efficient. I like the fridge as it hold 4 kegs which is enough for me, and I have the freezer for hops and spillover from our upstairs unit. If you plan on a bar, a built-in icemaker would be nice, but will up the $.

cnoyes said:
Tried that, not having much luck.

As with our beer we're brewing, you need patience. Just because you want one NOW doesn't mean one will be there. Craigslist, newspaper, nickle ads, etc. You can save $100's of dollars if you are patient.

Otherwise, scratch-and-dent or sales are good options. Again, they may not have anything right now, but may tomorrow, next week, etc.

Or you can just shop around and pay full price. If you have a COSTCO they had a good deal on a 7.7cu/ft chest freezer a few months ago. About $100 less then HD, Lowes, BB.

Kilted Brewer said:
As with our beer we're brewing, you need patience. Just because you want one NOW doesn't mean one will be there. Craigslist, newspaper, nickle ads, etc. You can save $100's of dollars if you are patient.

Very good point.

I'd try craigslist and look for a fridge less than 10 years old. You can also convert a chest freezer (that's what I'm planning).

Back