fresh pressed cider fermentation won't start

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SpeedyP85

Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

First time poster here. I've been making cider for about 6 months with store bough cider no problem, turns out great. But now me and friend built a little press and pressed some apples from our backyards, the juice looks great but fermentation won't start. Here's what I've done

- press apples
- add juice to fermenting bucket
- add 1.5 camden tablet per gallon
- let sit 24 hours
- add nutrients and pectin enzyme
- hydrate yeast
- pitch yeast
- wait 36hours, no bubbles, take gravity reading no change
- wait another 24 hours , take reading no change
- get new yeast, hydrate and pitch (yeast very active during hydration)
- wait 24 hours and take reading , no change
- take ph reading : 3.2

I really don't want to loose our homemade pressed juice, what can I can do ? your help is much appreciated

Is it possible that ph is actually lower, causing this problem? Please take out a few ml and add bit of water and pitch and see if it starts.

Is it possible that ph is actually lower, causing this problem? Please take out a few ml and add bit of water and pitch and see if it starts.

Ok that's a good idea, what is the lowest PH acceptable ?

Addtional info -
I have 2 x 1 gallon jugs for this batch
1 gallon - S04 yeast
1 gallon - D47 yeast

For fermentation, any yeast would do. The ph should be in range of 3.2 to 3.8. If you find out that indeed was the problem, add calcium carbonate or oyster shells etc to main fermenter to raise ph a little. What was the gravity?

Last edited:
I add 1/4 tsp PM to each 6 gallon bucket, then cover with cheese cloth for 24-48 hours. I also stir the must once to twice a day. Then I add plenty of yeast nutrients and yeast energizer before I pitch my yeast. Never a problem. Good luck

Just wanted to provide an update, the Issue was the low PH. I tested the batch again and it was now showing 3.05, I added just a bit of sodium bicarbonate to bring it up to 3.4 and within 12h the batch was fermenting.

Thanks for the help.

Thanks for sharing the results. Just adding, I personally never add any sulphate or Camden etc to my cider. I always make a healthy starter and maintain ph around 3.5 and never had the problem of infection. My experience is acids and healthy yeast starter knock off any competition from nasties. Bonus is, shorter time to drink it.

Well deduct 24 hours for Camden for one and it also finishes a bit faster. I used to use sulphate long time ago, then decided to avoid using chemicals.

Back