Freezing packets of dried yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Normaly dry yeast has to be kept in the fridge, not the freezer, its stays good for years in the fridge.

For smaller batches I have been putting my open packets of yeast in the freezer. I assume any detrimental effects of the freezer are less than exposing the open dry yeast to moisture in the fridge. This has worked so far.

Will freezing packets of dried yeast harm the yeast?
Product information is generally a good starting point
  • Video seminars from Lallemand and Fermentis in 2021/2022 covered storing in a freezer
  • Each also has (or had) email support - as people here occasionally re-post answers.
Like other ingredients, avoiding moisture, avoiding oxygen, and controlling temperature are considerations. For some ingredients, frost-free freezers can be a (negative?) factor.

As of about six months ago, Lallemand and Fermentis were recommending storing unopened packages cool (40° F). Both recommend using open packages quickly. Recently Lallemand started suggesting the option of vacuum re-sealing open packages.

I also was scratching my head with this question.... For years I kept my baking yest as well as all my starter cultures used with traditional fermented sausages in the freezer with great success.... Never tried to keep wine yeasts the same way but wondering - why not?

I wasn't talking about sausages - no sarcasm needed. I was talking about starter cultures (microorganisms) and bread yeast (still east) can survive being freezed during extended period of time. I am new to mead/wine making so cannot comment about wine yeast. My apologies if I wasn't clear on that.

No apologies needed. You were clear on what you were saying, you got my interest peaked with the sausages. I’ll PM you about the sausages when I get on the computer tomorrow. I don’t know how to do that from the phone.

And dry wine yeast has no moisture, just like any other dry yeast or dry starter culture, so freezing should be ok. If there is moisture present, when it freezes, it forms sharp crystals that rupture cell walls. An open packet of yeast could introduce moisture, but if it’s sealed, it should be completely dry.

Back