Freezing Grains ok?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

maxamuus

Reaction score
Usually keep my grains for my up coming batches in the kegerator. However i am experiencing a VERY weird phenomena! The beer fridge is getting FULL of beers!

Is it kosher to toss my grains in the deep freeze? I would imagine no harm no foul, probably don't even need to keep them cold just old school where freezing coffee & cigarettes kept them fresher so figured the same must be true for grains.

Cheers :mug:

I hope not, i keep my grains in gallon ziplocks in the freezer ;) Haven't experienced any problems. I think the biggest concern is avoiding moisture.

I find that whenever I put something in the freezer it ends up smelling like the freezer. I've never had a freezer IPA before but I don't think it would be that good. You can leave your grains at ambient temperature as long as they're in a ziplock of somekind. Should last you a pretty long time.

Too much beer in the beer fridge? Whoa, buddy, you got a serious problem there! :mug:

If I was in your neck of the woods I'd be glad to come by and help you "solve" that problem of yours.

If you keep them in the freezer, make sure they are vacuum sealed so 1) you dont get that "freezer smell" seeping into the grains, and 2) so any moisture in the bag doesnt freeze up and potentially ruin your grains.

Thing is, if you are vacuum packing them, you could essentially just keep them stored someplace dark and cool and you would be fine.

I've been advised in the past to keep crushed grains in the freezer...is it necessary? I've got them vacuum sealed...

I found that keeping crushed grain in the freezer messed up my mash in temp. Even if I took them out hours ahead and shoved a thermometer down in them to attempt to compensate I always came in 4-5 degrees low on my mash.

Or put more simply, keeping them at room temperature made my mash temp more accurate.

Back