FotD Secret Santa Beer Swap

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Thorrak

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Ho ho ho! In the spirit of The Fellowship of the Drink, I am launching a FotD-inspired Secret Santa Beer Exchange. This will be completely different from the normal FotD - there will be no offers, selection, or photos. Here’s how it will work:

Today - Dec 5th: Sign up! Post in this thread that you are interested, and shoot me a PM with the template below.
Dec 6-7th(ish): I will message every participant their giftee, along with their giftee’s info.
Jan 2nd - 15th: Shipping! Ship your gifts to your giftee.
Jan 18th(ish - depending on shipping): List posted of Santas and giftees

In other words, you drop your name in this thread, ship someone some beer, and - a few days later, come home to find beer has magically arrived on your doorstep. Amazing!

Because there is no “selection” process, I’m recommending a limit of 128 fl. Oz. of beer for all deliveries. This means roughly , 5 750ml bottles, 8 pint cans, 12 cans of PBR, 5 tall boys of Corona, or 1 gallon of grade C hooch.

Template for PM: (Include the following in the PM you send me)
  • HBT Username:
  • Email Address:
  • Name & Shipping Address:
  • Beer Preferences/Dislikes:
  • Can you receive beer at any point from Jan 3-24th? (If not, when during that window do you need to receive by/after?)

FAQ:

Can I join after Dec 5th?
No
. Due to the nature of this round, all participants must be in by the deadline.

Why is the shipping schedule so late?
Santa had a bit to drink.

Seriously though, it’s the holidays. People are traveling - and that goes both ways. There’s no need to either stress about getting beer to ship or potentially having beer sitting out on your doorstep while you’re choking down left over eggnog from last year at your parent's house. The shipping window is set for after the hangover clears.

Do I have to follow the preferences my giftee specified in their template?
Absolutely not! Although I hate all the barley wine I’ve ever tasted, it may just be because I haven’t had a good one yet. The preferences are a guideline, not a mandate. Ship beer that you think your giftee will want to drink.

What happens if I need to drop out?
Let me know ASAP. Because of the nature of this round, drop-outs after Dec 5th will be disruptive, but we will figure out a way to make it work.

Are you (Thorrak) participating/Why do you want an email address?
Yes, I am planning on participating. In part to keep my Santa hidden to me, and in part to help manage things, I am planning on designing a quick app to hold the info, do the draw, and email the data out to participants. I will be the only person who will have your email (it won’t go to participants) and I promise it will only be used for the FotD Secret Santa.

Of course - this may prove to be too ambitious for the next 3 weeks, so there is a possibility that I will know who my Santa is in advance if I have to do things manually. If people object to this, I can sit the round out and just organize.

Other rules/Participation guidelines:
- Continental US residents only
- Must be of legal drinking age
- Participants must also meet 1 of the following 3 requirements:
1) A HBT member for 6 months and minimum of 2 iTrader rating. All trades must be 100% positive.
2) A HBT member for 6 months and 0 or 1 iTrader 100% positive rating, but trading experience verified by a qualified FotD participant.
3) A previous FotD participant.

Love this idea! You can expect a message from me shortly. Please let me know if you need further info regarding my ability to meet the prerequisites for participating.

Oh I'm in. No worries. Best part so far -- For this thread:

Screen Shot 2019-11-19 at 11.11.44 PM.png

Great idea @Thorrak, I’m in. I guess one trade a year won’t hurt.

Last edited:
While we wait for Santa to sober up and in the spirit of Thanksgiving, I looked up a random turkey fact. The person closest to the number without going over associated with this fact will win a turkey day box from me.

No duplicates. One guess and your locked in. Must be a participant of this thread.

I’ll choose the winner tomorrow night.

Happy Thanksgiving!

giphy.gif

Last edited:
While we wait for Santa to sober up and in the spirit of Thanksgiving, I looked up a random turkey fact. The person closest to the number without going over associated with this fact will win a turkey day box from me.

No duplicates. One guess and your locked in. Must be a participant of this thread.

Happy Thanksgiving!

giphy.gif
I dont get it. Are we all throwing out random numbers?

Happy Thanksgiving!

giphy.gif

Wild Turkeys have powerful legs and can run up to 25 miles per hour

Back