Forum Changes

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brewenstein

Reaction score
In general I like the new look of the forum, but I have a couple questions.

Before there was a place at the bottom of the page to "jump to" another part of the forum. It no longer is there, or I am just missing it. Also, when I hover the arrow/hand over a post, there is no preview of the post like there used to be. Again, am I missing something like a way in my profile to activate this?

Nothing that will keep me away from the forum, but just curious. I do use the mobile app most of the time (which is improved from before), but when I am surfing during my lunch I am on the desktop version.

In general I like the new look of the forum, but I have a couple questions.

Before there was a place at the bottom of the page to "jump to" another part of the forum. It no longer is there, or I am just missing it. Also, when I hover the arrow/hand over a post, there is no preview of the post like there used to be. Again, am I missing something like a way in my profile to activate this?

Nothing that will keep me away from the forum, but just curious. I do use the mobile app most of the time (which is improved from before), but when I am surfing during my lunch I am on the desktop version.

Preview on hover does work. The hover thing doesn't work properly if you're working with a computer that has a touchscreen (i.e., many laptops do). It's a problem with the browser disabling the hover event. That might be your issue.

I don't mean to complain, but I'm finding it very difficult to navigate this new forum and I've been staying away out of frustration. It's a bit of a maze and things aren't laid out intuitively as before. I have to work to find threads I've contributed to, want to read, or ones with new content. The new image tiling on the app is a bugger to navigate too. I'd like to see simple categories, lists, bolded text for unread/new content.

Sorry to be a downer, but if I have to work to find content I'm not going to bother.

Nope - you can use the "Upload a File" button just below the default edit pane to pull images from your local system and embed them as full images or thumbnail links.
I've never used the "album" function, I just push images up from my workstation (or tablet or phone) to the particular thread.
They all end up stored on the HBT server...

Cheers!

Nope - you can use the "Upload a File" button just below the default edit pane to pull images from your local system and embed them as full images or thumbnail links.
I've never used the "album" function, I just push images up from my workstation (or tablet or phone) to the particular thread.
They all end up stored on the HBT server...

Cheers!
Thats how I used to do it but I couldnt find it now that they changed everything up.

I don't mean to complain, but I'm finding it very difficult to navigate this new forum and I've been staying away out of frustration. It's a bit of a maze and things aren't laid out intuitively as before. I have to work to find threads I've contributed to, want to read, or ones with new content. The new image tiling on the app is a bugger to navigate too. I'd like to see simple categories, lists, bolded text for unread/new content.

Sorry to be a downer, but if I have to work to find content I'm not going to bother.

There was a bit of a learning curve for me, but i didn't find it much different than going to a new site with a different forum software package.

Threads I've contributed to are listed as "Watched Threads" in the topline menu. On some screens there isn't room so there's a drop-down menu symbolized by "...". Watched threads are there.

So are new posts, for that matter. And watched forums. If the screen is wide enough, or you have text sizing set low enough, those will appear across the top. Otherwise, just drop down that menu.

In the "watched threads" screen, you're shown only the ones with new posts you haven't read. If you want to see all of the watched threads, click the link on the bottom that says "show all watched threads."

The only thing I can think of that I'm missing is a "quote" button in the editing window. When i want to break up a post to respond to various subsections of that post, a "quote" button is quite useful.

Ive also noticed the ads are back in full force... Although in fairness its been over a year since I paid to be a supporting member for a year (I'm still waiting for Yooper the get my bumper sticker mailed to me even though I pmed her with my address):(

BTW I found the upload a file button thanks.

I have to work to find... ones with new content.

That ones easy. There's a link at the top that says "New Posts." That'll list all the threads that have new content.

upload_2017-12-1_10-32-23.png

Ive also noticed the ads are back in full force... Although in fairness its been over a year since I paid to be a supporting member for a year (I'm still waiting for Yooper the get my bumper sticker mailed to me even though I pmed her with my address):(

You mean an image from your computer? Did you try copy/paste? For example, I just right-clicked your avatar with my mouse, Copy Image, then right-click in the new post editor, then Paste. And there it is, in this post.

upload_2017-12-1_11-34-47.png

177334.jpg

Last edited:
the 'recent threads' list does not stay on the right side of the page any longer. Once you open up a thread, the list disappears gets replaced with an additional ad.

You mean an image from your computer? Did you try copy/paste? For example, I just right-clicked your avatar with my mouse, Copy Image, then right-click Paste. And there it is, in this post.

View attachment 548042

177334.jpg
I did not... I was looking for something to browse to the images like the brown upload file button and was kind of expecting it to be with all the other ways to attach them at the top of the post bar so I didnt even look below. good to know its an option now. Heres a picture of a bunny with a pancake on its head to test this method out and show my gratitude. :)

pancake-bunny.gif

Last edited:
I did not... I was looking for something to browse to the images like the brown upload file button and was kind of expecting it to be with all the other ways to attach them at the top of the post bar so I didnt even look below. good to know its an option now.

As you found, "Upload a File" button is under the edit window. Also, if you use a Windows PC, hold down the windows button and click "E" and you'll get an explorer window. You can drag and drop a file (see picture below).

Thanks for the bunny.

upload_2017-12-1_12-5-31.png

the 'recent threads' list does not stay on the right side of the page any longer. Once you open up a thread, the list disappears gets replaced with an additional ad.

In addition to this, I also miss the related threads that used to show at the bottom. Always found them useful when going down the rabbit hole.

That ones easy. There's a link at the top that says "New Posts." That'll list all the threads that have new content.

View attachment 548040
I know about that one, but its another step and just lumps everything together. We need an easy way to see new posts in threads we've contributed to. Before it was a list with bolded text showing new content.

A lot of the website templates available now are geared towards the smartphone zombies with the attention span of a gnat. Look to the redesigned Wyeast maze for a perfect example. It's sorta like clicking random tiles and viewing content on a surface level only vs being able to go down the rabbit hole (as someone said). For a newbie HBT enthusiast to get from extract to all-grain and brew science, the rabbit hole approach is going to be essential.

Sorry you never got it- please PM me your address again and I'll get those right out!

Regarding the little blue button that takes you to the first new post in a thread: Is there any way to make this button larger to accommodate using your finger on a pad computer? Thanks

My last post might have been a tad curmudgeony. I have to say the HBT crew are doing a great job implementing the new forum changes. It must be a monumental task transferring all the data across and making sure the new layout works as smoothly as it does today. My appreciation for all your hard work!
:mug:

I have the app working well but I'm still having trouble navigating the desktop site. There's no way to view threads I've contributed to in a logical format. I recall this had been resolved a week or so ago but it's back to showing a random jumble of posts and not highlighting threads with new content.

How do I insert a link without the whole url showing up?

I used to like doing something like "Hey, this link will take you to an outside reference at brewing site xyz that will help with your question." with the word "this" being clickable, but not showing the entire url.

Just a quick test here, maybe typing some text, then highlighting it, then clicking insert link, maybe that will do it.

Nevermind, just posting this in case anyone else is wondering.

Latest posts

Back