Fortify a Bourbon Barrel Stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IVeladRiENtArtHeMaNaRMiTh

Cider House Rules
Reaction score
I recently made a bourbon barrel stout, and I heard I can fortify it with whiskey / bourbon for extra flavor.

I made ~ 5 US Gallons of it, any ideas how much bourbon I should add for good flavor, and to also prevent destroying the yeast (as I plan to bottle condition it)?

I will plan on using standard 40% bourbon of any brand at this point. Thank you!

It sounds like you just want some flavor from the bourbon, and not to actually "fortify" in standard sense (i.e. increase ABV significantly). To find the right level for you, I'd suggest taking a known volume of a similar (perhaps commercial) stout, and add drops of the bourbon until it hits the sweet spot. Then scale up. Here's a cheat sheet to help with that.

http://sonsofalchemy.org/wp-content/uploads/2019/02/Flavor_Sample_Dosing.pdf

Sometimes, when I am drinking a big stout, I put an ounce of bourbon in the bottom and top it off with beer.Extrapolating that would be several bottles in a 5 gallon batch. I would not recommend that, but if you use a smooth bourbon I don’t think there is a high chance of ruining the beer.

Probably not, but a few fifths of Knob Creek would be a few $100, and exceed my yeasts ability to condition, right?

Might be be better to suggest it as a mixer. Know Friday when. I bottle it!

Look at some of the brew instructions for kits. I made the Northern Brewing bourbon barrel porter and it called for 12 ozs. I think. It was delicious

Back