Forgotten Cider

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bpwilly

Reaction score
I have been making cider on and off for 10 years, mostly off. So I was down in my basement gathering up some bottles so a batch I just recently made, and I found a case of full 22 oz bottles of a Perry I had bottled up 10 years ago. Forgot I had these at all. I had to try one out, and it sure has changed in the last 10 years. It was super clear and somewhat carbonated. The taste was great to me. I am not real knowledgeable about all the various Perry's out these, but I did try a fairly expensive one (to me) several years back, and this found bottle was very similar if I remember correctly. It is fairly dry, but has a aftertaste that actually does remind me of apples and pears. I has made this with Bartlet Pears 50%, my apples (mix of old apple trees that have been growing on this property for better than 40 years) 25% and 25% winesap apples that I bought.

I guess what I learned the most is that age really does make cider/perry taste better. I wonder when the actual peak of the flavor could have been. No loss, as this is better than what I had at the start!
A learning moment for me!

Attachments

• IMG_20210302_185848817.jpg
    IMG_20210302_185848817.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 18
interesting results. I never had anything last that long, makes me wonder what triggers going stale or bad. Sounds you have perfect cleanliness to remain quality after that amount of time.

I was surprised as well. As for perfect cleanliness, I think it was more just plain dumb luck. I do clean things as well as I can, but I am not know to be a spotless guy. More like a old grease monkey, dirt loves me.
But I will take a surprise any time. Only thing I wonder is what it might have tasted like at its prime.

Back