Forgotten Cider

HomeBrewTalk.com - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Community.

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

Bpwilly

Reaction score
I have been making cider on and off for 10 years, mostly off. So I was down in my basement gathering up some bottles so a batch I just recently made, and I found a case of full 22 oz bottles of a Perry I had bottled up 10 years ago. Forgot I had these at all. I had to try one out, and it sure has changed in the last 10 years. It was super clear and somewhat carbonated. The taste was great to me. I am not real knowledgeable about all the various Perry's out these, but I did try a fairly expensive one (to me) several years back, and this found bottle was very similar if I remember correctly. It is fairly dry, but has a aftertaste that actually does remind me of apples and pears. I has made this with Bartlet Pears 50%, my apples (mix of old apple trees that have been growing on this property for better than 40 years) 25% and 25% winesap apples that I bought.

I guess what I learned the most is that age really does make cider/perry taste better. I wonder when the actual peak of the flavor could have been. No loss, as this is better than what I had at the start!
A learning moment for me!

Attachments

Rick Stephens

Reaction score
interesting results. I never had anything last that long, makes me wonder what triggers going stale or bad. Sounds you have perfect cleanliness to remain quality after that amount of time.

OP
Bpwilly

Bpwilly

Reaction score
I was surprised as well. As for perfect cleanliness, I think it was more just plain dumb luck. I do clean things as well as I can, but I am not know to be a spotless guy. More like a old grease monkey, dirt loves me.
But I will take a surprise any time. Only thing I wonder is what it might have tasted like at its prime.