forgot to add Whirlflock now what?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

iasquith

Reaction score
Well I knew one day it would happen!
finished off my brew day thinking it had gone seamlessly when , oh no I forgot tha whirlflock.
it could have been worse (no hops i suppose)
its a bitter, I plan to crash cool as always after fermentation but I was wandering if theres a way I can add more whirlflock to the fermentor or secondary to help clear my milky looking brew.
any thoughts are welcome thanks

Well I knew one day it would happen!
finished off my brew day thinking it had gone seamlessly when , oh no I forgot tha whirlflock.
it could have been worse (no hops i suppose)
its a bitter, I plan to crash cool as always after fermentation but I was wandering if theres a way I can add more whirlflock to the fermentor or secondary to help clear my milky looking brew.
any thoughts are welcome thanks

gelatin!!!

I wouldn't worry about it, I have never uses that and rarely use irish moss any more. Get a good cold break and chill the beer fast and clarity shouldn't be an issue for most styles.

Just let it ride and cold crash. Use gelatin if you want, but I wouldn't. It will probably flocc ok after a few weeks.

Last brew day I nearly had a stroke when I realized that I once again forgot the Irish Moss after promising to add it to the brew sheet. Then I remembered that I was brewing a Wit!

I lay the Whirlfloc out with the hops in the order I add them to the boil, that way I won't forget, especially if I am enjoying a beer while brewing. I didn't use it on my previous three batches and they were fine, but I did get chill hazae, even after using gelatin. I guess gelatin does not cure chill haze.

O.k thanks I think I'll add gelatin when I pass to secondary
shepard5 Yeah thats a good idea 'lay it on top of the hop additions'
thanks all!

I haven't used wirlfloc since the first batch I did, and then only because it was included in the kit. Most of my beers are pretty clear, and a few are brilliantly clear, even when some or all of the hot break/hop matter ends up in the fermenter. Getting rid of chill haze can be very effectively done with a good cold break and 3-4 weeks in primary.

So my advice, don't worry about it and certainly don't feel like you need to add gelatin. Personally, I don't like the idea of ground animal bones in my beer, but to each their own...

Whirlfloc, like hops, has to boil to be effective. I don't use it much any more, since I switched to 3-4 week fermentations.

Back