Add gypsum after fermentation?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Panderson1

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
So I ran out of gypsum during my brew day. Only got about 3 grams worth and was supposed to add around 20 grams total (beersmith hoppy profile) (11 gallon batch).

I just ordered some. Is there any benefit adding it after fermentation? I plan on dry hopping in a few days when i soft crash.... Or should i just forget about it?

If you want the extra sulfate for flavor, then go ahead and add it now. I think I'd boil it in a couple of cups of water and add, rather than trying to stir dry powder into the beer, which would expose the beer to excess O2.

Brew on :mug:

While I've read many papers listing the benefits of calcium salts additions to both mash and boil, I've read none on the influence of calcium post fermentation.

Calcium salts will mostly disassociateabout during the brewing process, with half the calcium present combining with phosphates from malt and oxalates produced in the mash, to then deposit in the mash or with hot break after a rolling boil. Some remaining calcium will be absorbed by yeast during fermentation, assisting flocculation when fermentation slows. The sulphate supplied by gypsum combines with potassium from malt and passes into the beer to provide a perception of dryness to enhance hop flavours. I doubt adding gypsum directly to a finished beer can have an exactly similar influence. Larger sulphate additions do increase the maturation period, so a little more patience can be required.

I was at a symposium in Milwaukee with the authors of Hops, Water ,Malt and Yeast (Jamil couldn't make it). There was a pitcher of CaCl2 and CaSO4 (can't remember the ppm). We were served two BMC beers and added some to each to taste the difference. We were then showen how to add certain levels of each to a finished beer noting the ppm's add to 50 ml. You keep increasing until you get the profile you want then do the math and add that to a bottling bucket or keg.
I totally agree with cire that adding all the rest you missed might not be a good idea because of all the cofacters involved. I wonder if adding calcium at this time will help with clearing and compacting the sediment. Using sensory is the best way to change this.

I just ordered some. Is there any benefit adding it after fermentation? I plan on dry hopping in a few days when i soft crash.... Or should i just forget about it?
Are you able to split the batch at packaging time? Package half with additional gypsum and half without the additional gypsum?

Occasionally, I adjust recipes by adding S04, Cl, and Na in the glass then apply the results to the next batch. I've also done the additions when bottle conditioning.

Last edited:
Are you able to split the batch at packaging time? Package half with additional gypsum and half without the additional gypsum?

Occasionally, I adjust recipes by adding S04, Cl, and Na in the glass then apply the results to the next batch. I've also done the additions when bottle conditioning.
Yes i split the batch via 2 corny kegs. Maybe that's the best approach?

Yes i split the batch via 2 corny kegs. Maybe that's the best approach?
I would do something with half (rather than nothing at all).

It looks like your recipe was targeting around 260ppm S04 (20 g in 11 gal) and you ended up with around 40 (3 g).

Side by side, the two kegs should be noticeably different beers - and blending from each may result in a 3rd beer.

You can definitely add gypsum to finished beer and it can make a notable difference.

It sounds like the OP substantially missed the targeted goal and they can quickly assess the likely effect of the missing gypsum by adding gypsum directly to a pint of the beer and tasting. I can tell you that a thin pinch of gypsum between your thumb and index finger should add about 100 ppm sulfate when added to a pint of beer. So in the OP's case, I'd suggest adding 2 pinches, mixing gently to give it a chance to dissolve, and then tasting. It will be notably dryer in the finish.

You can definitely add gypsum to finished beer and it can make a notable difference.

It sounds like the OP substantially missed the targeted goal and they can quickly assess the likely effect of the missing gypsum by adding gypsum directly to a pint of the beer and tasting. I can tell you that a thin pinch of gypsum between your thumb and index finger should add about 100 ppm sulfate when added to a pint of beer. So in the OP's case, I'd suggest adding 2 pinches, mixing gently to give it a chance to dissolve, and then tasting. It will be notably dryer in the finish.
It might be of interest to add one pinch of gypsum with a second of potassium sulphate for comparison.

Back