For those who ferment in a keg, have you ever flushed the trub and drank from?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rnm410

Reaction score
For those who ferment in a keg, have you ever flushed the trub and drank from the same keg you primary in?

I often ferment in a corny keg but rack off the yeast cake, clean the keg and repeat.

I've never done this... and frankly, can't imagine why you would want to. Straight from secondary? Sure. But primary? The yeast cake will just be too big for this to work well, IMO.

I've had a dip tube fully clogged with even the small amount of hops that I siphoned up from secondary.

Probably just bad luck but I've been pretty adamant about nothing getting transferred.

I would recommend cutting an inch of your dip tube at least.

I've never done this... and frankly, can't imagine why you would want to. Straight from secondary? Sure. But primary? The yeast cake will just be too big for this to work well, IMO.

"Be too big for this to work well, In My Experience..."

It was science. It didn't work too well. I think the trub layer was so thick that rather than being removed in the first few pours it made a pit of sorts and kept filling in the gap between pours.

Would have been nice though. Do the spunding valve / ferment under pressure route, have beer carbonated as soon as fermenting is finished, then serve right from the same vessel. Unfortunately that isn't the case. Definitely rack to a fresh keg.

Oh wait, you said primary.

No definitely would not attempt that.

Secondary maybe, depending on the beer you could have 4-5 inches of trub on the bottom of that keg after primary. Without any dry hops you could get away with it if you absolutely had to. Trub alone should be able to pass up through your dip tube.

But if you are looking into this as a part of your regular procedure I would suggest against it.

Back