Calling on those who ferment and serve in the keg!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

seatazzz

Well-Known Bloviator & Pontificator
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
In my ongoing quest to find better/different/faster/easier ways to brew beer, just today I brewed my first batch (basic cream ale) that will ferment in the keg. I own two 7g fermonsters, but hae been intrigued with the idea of fermenting/serving from the keg. I have a blowtie spunding valve that I can use to pressure ferment, with the gauge. Any helpful comments as I embark on this journey?

Why not just transfer to a corny keg? What are you gaining by not doing that?
Or, if you really want to ferment/serve in a keg, just use a corny keg? (cut back the dip tube about 1.5")

From observation, it appears the optimal solution to using a Cornelius type keg for fermenting/carbonating (presumably spunding)/dispensing is to use one of the better regarded floating dip tubes. Everything seems to just follow from there...

Cheers!

Yes I have gone to fermenting and serving from a corny ,and using a Spunding valve .It’s great so far ,floating dip tube is probably favourite solution to trub issue .If you want a simple life you can also repitch on the trub ( but ideally reduce it a little first ).

Took a small risk and added the floating diptube to the keg this morning; lid was open for maybe 20 seconds. Yes, not smart, but otherwise no samples and no serving from this keg. Still chugging away so I hope I didn't do anything bad to it.

I'm also beginning that same journey @seatazzz

I've fermented in a Corny three times so far. The first time was uneventful, a pale ale that I eventually moved to a serving keg.

The second time was an Irish Red Ale that I used a spunding valve set at 10psi for the entire fermentation, despite being advised not to try. I should have listened, it was a dumper, absolutely no character or flavor.

And finally the most recent, a Kolsch which, for the first time, I'm fermenting and serving from the same Corny. In this case fermentation went OK, though I didn't leave enough head-room. The gas-out post would occasionally clog with krausen, build up some pressure until CO2 blew it out into the blowoff container. This happened several times during high krausen. I do have FermCap but didn't use it. In the end it did ferment out all the way and a quick taste of the hydro sample was very promising. As a result of the clog-spund it was about half carbed when I checked FG. It's been in the keezer for a few days now, aging. I did use a Clear Beer Draught System (floating dip tube), and a Rapt Pill to monitor fermentation process. I will continue to use this method for non dry-hopped ales, and lagers (when I finally try to brew one).

Pros - ferment to glass without ever seeing oxygen. Don't have to clean/sanitize a fermenter. Save on CO2 otherwise used in transferring to a serving keg.

Cons - Only 4 to 4.5 gallons of finished beer. You can run the risk of clogging your gas-out QD.

Admittedly I'm quite new to this and I expect to further refine my process such that any issues may become non-issues in time.

I'm taking a similar yet slightly different approach. Ever since I bought a unitank a few years ago I've been fermenting with temperature control to near completion, then spunding for the last 5~10 gravity points before crashing and doing a closed transfer to a corny keg for conditioning and serving. It's been very successful but creates a huge backup at the fermenter before starting the next brew session.

With my current fermentation I'm going to revert to the old school dreaded method of a (shudder) secondary fermentation! (gasp!). This morning's gravity reading was 1.020/5.1P after 60 hours of active fermenting. Tonight it should be within 5~7 points of my estimated Final Gravity, so I'll start spunding to 15 psi~1 BAR for the next 3-5 days until everything has settled, including a soft crash to remove most of the solids. Then I'll do a closed transfer to a purged 5.6 gallon hybrid kegmenter (has Corny Gas and Liquid posts, a 1.5" TC fitting, and ring pull 30 psi PRV, with an interchangeable Sanke D spear). I'll attach an old Gas In post adjustable 'spund' to release any possible overpressure in case fermentation isn't completely done, backed up with a PRV of course, and let it lager/condition until tapping it or doing another closed transfer to a regular Corny or Sanke keg.

Basically I'll be using the hybrid keg as a brite tank, so it won't be an actual "secondary" throwback process. If it works as well as I think it should, it will cut down the bottleneck at the unitank by half. It couldn't come at a better time, since my son-in-law is getting his new outdoor pool-side kitchen (and kegerator) installed this week. His kegerator is a two-tap Sanke setup, so I'll be filling his Sanke kegs on a regular basis. Looks like my home 'brewery' output (full 5 gal. and 5.6 gallon capacity) is going to be increasing soon!

Hey @seatazzz I've been down that road and back again. And yes I know the brainies think secondaries are useless. But I still like fermenting in a 1/4 barrel sanke keg as my primary. Yes the dip tube has been shortened by 1 inch to reduce the amount of trub. Then I do a closed transfer into a serving/secondary keg to finish. I also use a bowtie spunding valve and ferment under pressure. And I also have a conical but for the life of me I can't make it hold pressure as a result any time I ferment in the CF5 I transfer to a closed secondary ASAP. To each their own but this is what works best for me.

My nephew ferments and serves in a Fermzilla with great results. He also ferments under pressure and uses a floating dip tube. Because of his success I too am getting a Fermzilla G3.2 with attachments to use my CF5 hop dropper.

I have my first keg/pressure fermented batch going right now. Been at 12PSI for 5 days running at 62F. Pretty excited, just not sure if I'm going to try for a closed transfer to a serving keg, or serve from the same corny I'm fermenting in. I have a cheap floating dip tube in there already and a sanitized/purged keg ready to go for it if I so choose.
Meh, I guess I'll decide that part come time to. I think I'll keep playing with it with various lager strains and keep using my fermonsters for Ales for right now. Eventually I'll play around with spunding ales right before terminal to help save on Co2, but I think I'll play around with 1 new process at a time.

I have my first keg/pressure fermented batch going right now. Been at 12PSI for 5 days running at 62F. Pretty excited, just not sure if I'm going to try for a closed transfer to a serving keg, or serve from the same corny I'm fermenting in. I have a cheap floating dip tube in there already and a sanitized/purged keg ready to go for it if I so choose.
Meh, I guess I'll decide that part come time to. I think I'll keep playing with it with various lager strains and keep using my fermonsters for Ales for right now. Eventually I'll play around with spunding ales right before terminal to help save on Co2, but I think I'll play around with 1 new process at a time.
12 psi @ 62F will end up being flat and under carbonated for most beer styles. Before it finishes fermenting, you might want to increase the pressure on your spunding valve.

Most lagers and ales are pressurized to about 2.20 to 2.60 volumes of carbonation. At 62F, you’ve only got ~1.65 volumes of CO2. When you chill to say 38F to serve, the 12 psi head pressure in the keg will fall and some of the CO2 in solution will evolve back to a gaseous state.

If you can’t increase pressure on your fermenter (keg in this case), you can connect a CO2 bottle to maintain keg pressure and CO2 saturation levels while you chill/crash to serving temperatures. 12 psi @ 38F will give you 2.57 volumes of CO2, which is good for most ales and lagers, but 12 psi @ 62F would be on the low range for even stouts or porters.

12 psi @ 62F will end up being flat and under carbonated for most beer styles. Before it finishes fermenting, you might want to increase the pressure on your spunding valve.

Most lagers and ales are pressurized to about 2.20 to 2.60 volumes of carbonation. At 62F, you’ve only got ~1.65 volumes of CO2. When you chill to say 38F to serve, the 12 psi head pressure in the keg will fall and some of the CO2 in solution will evolve back to a gaseous state.

If you can’t increase pressure on your fermenter (keg in this case), you can connect a CO2 bottle to maintain keg pressure and CO2 saturation levels while you chill/crash to serving temperatures. 12 psi @ 38F will give you 2.57 volumes of CO2, which is good for most ales and lagers, but 12 psi @ 62F would be on the low range for even stouts or porters.
I meant to keep it at 12PSI during fermentation and reconnect it to a tank for actual carbonation at roughly 38-39f after a crash. I know that the 12@62 won't carb it. Using Co2 from fermentation to carb a batch is another process for another day after I know I know what I'm doing with just pressure fermentation in general. Not trying to learn too many things at one time, done went and did a lot of stupid things to my brain in my younger years, gotta be gentle with it these days

You're good. I will suggest cranking you spunding valve to 15 psi while fermenting.
^^^What T Murph said.^^^ The easiest way to carbonate is to let the fermenter do the work for you. You're at the right starting point with 12 psi already set, so when you start chilling (assuming you still have some fermentation still occurring) is to gradually dial in a new setting on the spund as the temperature falls. By the time you get to say 38F for serving, the beer will have cleared and the carbonation level will already be exactly where you want it. Also, the CO2 in your beer will be "pure" CO2 with no O2, no other random atmospheric trace gasses, and no industrial lubricants, etc. If you started spunding too late, no worries. Just attach CO2 to your Gas In post at the desired serving pressure and I'll force carbonate and keep positive pressure in your tank as the temperature falls. More than one way to skin this cat.

^^^What T Murph said.^^^ The easiest way to carbonate is to let the fermenter do the work for you. You're at the right starting point with 12 psi already set, so when you start chilling (assuming you still have some fermentation still occurring) is to gradually dial in a new setting on the spund as the temperature falls. By the time you get to say 38F for serving, the beer will have cleared and the carbonation level will already be exactly where you want it. Also, the CO2 in your beer will be "pure" CO2 with no O2, no other random atmospheric trace gasses, and no industrial lubricants, etc. If you started spunding too late, no worries. Just attach CO2 to your Gas In post at the desired serving pressure and I'll force carbonate and keep positive pressure in your tank as the temperature falls. More than one way to skin this cat.
I was reading the other day about the trace O2/other gases in Co2 tanks. I'd probably worry about it more if I liked hop forward beer or could keep a keg around long enough to stale, lol. Between friends and neighbors I can't oxidize anything if I wanted to.

Like I said, it's been on for about 5 days, going to pull, degas and check a sample after work. The 34/70 seems to really be taking off at the higher temps and I'll go from there.

I was reading the other day about the trace O2/other gases in Co2 tanks. I'd probably worry about it more if I liked hop forward beer or could keep a keg around long enough to stale, lol. Between friends and neighbors I can't oxidize anything if I wanted to.

Like I said, it's been on for about 5 days, going to pull, degas and check a sample after work. The 34/70 seems to really be taking off at the higher temps and I'll go from there.
For the most part I'd say that "industrial" components or contaminants in bottled gases from a welding supply store are not very high on my "to worry about" list. The one exception might be using medical grade oxygen instead of disposable 'red bottle' O2 from the Big Box store to oxygenate wort before pitching yeast, but even then I don't loose sleep over it.

OTOH, minimizing O2 at every other phase of the brewing process is definitely something I work hard at doing. Staling is a real concern. I'm currently trying to kick the last of two prize winning kegs from last Fall's competition entries to make room for this year's Summer brews. They're about 10 months old now. My Vienna lager took the Blue Ribbon and did well in the Best of Show competition. I worked especially hard on that one to prevent oxidation, and it shows. The beer still tastes quite good and is a pleasure to drink. I also did a Maibock which was O.K. with the judges (score was lower than the Vienna, but still won Blue for category). I wasn't so careful with this one. It's horribly oxidized and will end up getting dumped. Both were stored side by side in my beer fridge, so they had every opportunity to lager their way successfully through the Winter months. Instead, one is pleasing and one is barely drinkable. The only real difference was my care (and/or lack of) mitigating oxygen throughout the brewing process.

@kadozen why would you degas? You are trying to carbonate so degassing is the opposite action to take at this point. That gas is Co2 your beer needs that Co2 to be carbonated.

Here's an update. It's holding steady at 10psi since last night (took me a bit to get it dialled in). Took a sample yesterday; SG on this one was 1.065 (overshot the hell out of it), and last night it was down to 1.025. Brewed on Sunday. This is tuesday. Horey clap. Just took another sample (because I could, have a lovely picnic tap setup) and it's down 5 more points to 1.020. Thinking it will probably be finished with primary on Thursday morning. Sample has a beautiful bread-doughy smell, that I've never got in any of my other beers. Flavor is what you'd expect; weird. But there's good beer coming, I can tell.

I had planned to serve from this keg, but now I've got the bug and want to brew another one; so I'll transfer to another keg on Friday night (after a brief crash) so I can get another one started on Saturday. I have the means to do a closed transfer so no worries there.

@kadozen why would you degas? You are trying to carbonate so degassing is the opposite action to take at this point. That gas is Co2 your beer needs that Co2 to be carbonated.
I think he meant he was going to degas the sample he was planning to pull. At least that’s how I understood it when he said…

“Like I said, it's been on for about 5 days, going to pull, degas and check a sample after work.”

@tmurph I meant degas a sample for a hydro reading like @Whisky River said.

But yeah, sample was pulled, too which I received mostly foam. Let it settle and knocked out as much co2 as I could pouring between 2 coffee cups with gusto. 1.012 which is close enough to my projected 1.008 should it just decide to be done. Mostly tasted like a warm flat BMC kinda beer, which was what I was aiming for (not the flat warm part, but you know what I mean).

Had a faint odd smell which I guess could be Sulphur or maybe something else, but was super subtle. No trace in the taste though, so I'm not overly worried. I successfully ended up with beer which is honestly my only target anymore.

I have only did a few ferment and serve from the same keg. I had a pretty neutral experience in the beer was no better or worst than my normal process so I did not see a good reason to do it over my normal process.

One thing I was worried about was possible yeast autolysis. The beers I made were lagers and I normally lager my beers 2 to 3 months before drinking but I did not notice any signs of autolysis happening. The first beer I nursed it out to 7.5months and the last beer poured from the keg still tasted fine.

@tmurph I meant degas a sample for a hydro reading like @Whisky River said.

But yeah, sample was pulled, too which I received mostly foam. Let it settle and knocked out as much co2 as I could pouring between 2 coffee cups with gusto. 1.012 which is close enough to my projected 1.008 should it just decide to be done. Mostly tasted like a warm flat BMC kinda beer, which was what I was aiming for (not the flat warm part, but you know what I mean).

Had a faint odd smell which I guess could be Sulphur or maybe something else, but was super subtle. No trace in the taste though, so I'm not overly worried. I successfully ended up with beer which is honestly my only target anymore.
For what it's worth, I haven't found it to be too much of an issue taking gravity readings from carbonated samples out of the fermenter keg. It doesn't affect the gravity much, if any.

For what it's worth, I haven't found it to be too much of an issue taking gravity readings from carbonated samples out of the fermenter keg. It doesn't affect the gravity much, if any.
I disagree. In a high krausening wort gas bubbles attach to hydrometers and can affect the accuracy. With refractometers or visual light devices like EasyDens, cloudiness and evolving gas bubbles definitely affect accuracy. A sample from the fermenter I took two days ago was SG 1.020/5.1P. That seemed off, so I vigorously stirred the sample jar and let it settle for 30 minutes and ran it through the EasyDens. Second reading was 1.016 SG/4.2. Not huge, but significant.

I disagree. In a high krausening wort gas bubbles attach to hydrometers and can affect the accuracy. With refractometers or visual light devices like EasyDens, cloudiness and evolving gas bubbles definitely affect accuracy. A sample from the fermenter I took two days ago was SG 1.020/5.1P. That seemed off, so I vigorously stirred the sample jar and let it settle for 30 minutes and ran it through the EasyDens. Second reading was 1.016 SG/4.2. Not huge, but significant.
Okay then.

I always agitate the hydrometer in the column to break out as much CO2 and let it all settle down before reading a sample from beer that is carbed.

When I use a hydrometer I’ll twirl it in the column. A quick spin is all it takes to get rid of the bubbles that attach to the bulb.
My issues are less the bubbles on the bulb, but the massive head formed from warm partialy carbed beer obscuring the markings. I just knock it all out and worry about none of it. The only batch I've pressure fermented was a lite lager, and I know what warm flat coors tastes like from being a teenager, so no none hydro metrics are affected there

On transfer to pseudo-brite/secondary (with or without pressure fermenting): a couple of times it has seemed to maybe halt fermentation. May need to try again, transferring a bit earlier even though that requires a floating or shortened dip tube to avoid yeast clogging things up at serving time.

On the side issue of carbonated samples: I draw into a mug, stir vigorously, then pour into my sample cylinder. No bubbles on the he hydrometer, and much less foam.

I found the only thing that works for me, is pouring the beer sample back and forth between two cups several times. First sample tested out at 1.020; after the cup pouring thing, gravity dropped 6 points to 1.014.

I found the only thing that works for me, is pouring the beer sample back and forth between two cups several times. First sample tested out at 1.020; after the cup pouring thing, gravity dropped 6 points to 1.014.
I tried that, and putting the whole sample into a jar and shaking it like a teenage parent and I recommend the vigorous pour method.

Jar took forever to stabalize

I tried that, and putting the whole sample into a jar and shaking it like a teenage parent and I recommend the vigorous pour method.

Jar took forever to stabalize
I’ve tried several methods from letting a sample sit in a jar for an hour undisturbed to shaking it like it owes me money. What I’ve found works for me is to get a 2~3 oz sample in plastic cup. At 15 psi spunding pressure, the sample starts out as nothing but a glass full of foam, so I stir it with a dinner fork for a minute and let it stand for :10-15 minutes.

Then I slowly pour it through a coffee filter, collecting a shot glass full, and then run about 10 ml through an EasyDens. The sample is largely settled and degassed, at least good enough to get an reasonably accurate reading.

the flatter the better. even tiny bubbles you can't see will skew the readings.

I have never seen a discrepancy that big. It's almost always as I expect. I let it sit a minute for the head on the sample to settle. When I take the sample from the keg fermenter, I swirl it a little in the measuring cup, but I don't take extra steps to get the co2 out of solution. Maybe I should... Maybe my beers are finishing at 1.006 instead of 1.010...but I doubt it.

EDIT: For the record, I typically ferment to carbonate fully. Lagers have been 1.5 bar at 62F.

I know this post is a little old, but wanted to put in what I do with using a keg. I ferment in one of the Anvil plastic fermenters that has the lid with gas and liquid posts on it. I had a tip from a person who is the head brewer for a local brewery. Before I transfer, I add my dry hops to the keg. I then rack on top of them and leave them in the keg the whole time it is in my kegerator. With a floating dip tube this works great and IMO has caused no difference in flavor.

I know this post is a little old, but wanted to put in what I do with using a keg. I ferment in one of the Anvil plastic fermenters that has the lid with gas and liquid posts on it. I had a tip from a person who is the head brewer for a local brewery. Before I transfer, I add my dry hops to the keg. I then rack on top of them and leave them in the keg the whole time it is in my kegerator. With a floating dip tube this works great and IMO has caused no difference in flavor.
Is it increasing your aromas significantly?

I've fermented and served my last 35-40 batches out of 5 gallon corny kegs. I really, really like it.

- I don't spund. I use blow off tube into starsan during fermentation then hook it up to gas in my serving freezer
- I use fermcap
- I haven't ever measured but I fill my corny keg up to about 3-4" below the gas tube, I think it's probably around 4.7 gallons ish
- I almost never transfer to a secondary
- I use 'crappy' versions of floating dip tubes with mesh screens, and at some point added some SS washers to the screen for more weight. The biggest problem I've had is 3-4 times I've had batches that sputter gas out into my pint glass instead of beer. To remedy I've had to depressurize keg, open lid, and use santizied tongs to push the dip tube back into 'proper' position. Big PITA, rarely happens though, someday I'll buy new 'good' floating dip tubes
- The first few tiems I used a normal dip tube cut off about 1-2" higher. Worked OK but still got some sludge
- If I dry hop or add gelatin I just open the lid and drop em in, usually after fermentation and right before I put it on gas

That's my speech

Back