For those that have dried kveik

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kenmoron

Reaction score
I recently made my first kveik beer using Imperial Loki (Voss). In order to have a nice storage in the freezer I decided to spread the yeast cake on parchment as I’ve seen others do. I did this on Monday and put it in a clean but warm room in the closet (to try and prevent wind blowing things on it). Anyway, it’s looking pretty dry today (6 days later). However, there seems to be a white texture on the top of it. Is this normal? I wouldn’t think it would be mold as this has seemed to develop as it gets more dry. Perhaps grain material? Yeast?
IMG_3476.JPG

My Voss is broken up and in the freezer and I don't remember if it had the white stuff on it. It was on two sheets and thin. I have some Hornindal in the oven now that was an entire 5 gal cake on one pan and is much thicker in the middle and so far it,s looking like it will end up looking like yours. The white dots were there after 24 hrs (drying mode at 100*) I flipped it over after 24 hrs and the bottom was looking your way. The Voss was done in 24 hrs,so next time I will make it thinner. Won't know good or bad until reuse.

I would lean towards your inclination that it's grain material. I dry a lot of Kveik and I've only seen this when drying from yeast cake (versus over built/starter/clean yeast etc).

My kveik didnt have that. But my pedio did, it came from a brew as opposed to a starter. Maybe thats the difference.

I have since used dried chips from this yeast cake with no issues. I've seen a few more pics from other people that have dried and noticed the same white material whenever it is yeast cake rather than overbuilt starter. I've used a heating pad underneath subsequent drying and the white stuff is more mixed in. So i'm certain that 1. the white stuff is grain material, and 2. the slower the drying process the more clumped up that material will appear as it seems to dry the slowest.

Back