Is Omega's Voss Kveik yeast exactly the same as Lalbrew dried Voss?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

z-bob

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I really like OYL-061, but I haven't used it in 2 years. I have a couple of fruit jars of old yeast slurry in the fridge that is probably still good, but I'm cleaning out the fridge and I have a packet of dried Voss Kveik. I'm wondering whether to throw out the jars and start fresh next time I want to use kveik yeast, or keep the ones I have and know that I like and hopefully they'll still be good in another 6 months when it's time to start using hot-weather yeast again.

I just dumped a jar of K-97 yeast that was over a year old, but out of curiosity I added a little sugar and warm water to the stuff that was stuck to the bottom of the jar to see if it wakes up (the beer on top still smelled good, and so did the yeast after I poured off the beer) I don't think I'll use it for anything, just want to see if it's still alive and reasonably healthy.

I did a RIS with a buddy that used the dry yeast yeast and I pitched a slurry of the OLY yeast yeast. His had that twang people talk about ,but I've never gotten it with the liquid.
You do know that Kveik means yeast and Sahara means desert,so stop saying yeast yeast!

Here's my single experience with old Voss. About a year ago I brewed a pale ale using Voss slurry that I had in a Mason jar for 16 months. I first made a starter with it to see if it was still viable. It took several hours to show any signs of life, but then overnight proceeded to overflow my 2000ml flask. I pitched it at the end of my brew day and had airlock activity within 2 1/2 hours. It took a 1.053 OG wort down to 1.011 FG. Despite it's age it seemed to ferment out fine. It wasn't the best beer I've brewed, but that's for reasons other than the yeast.

I second @BongoYodeler 's experience. I've used mason jar refrigerator stored overbuild starter not post ferment slurry yeast, hereinafter referred to as MJRSOSNPFS yeast, various strains, up to 18 months old. Starters always were slower to make, but the subsequent batch ferments behaved nominally without noticeable ill effect.

I did a RIS with a buddy that used the dry yeast yeast and I pitched a slurry of the OLY yeast yeast. His had that twang people talk about ,but I've never gotten it with the liquid.
You do know that Kveik means yeast and Sahara means desert,so stop saying yeast yeast!
Thank you. (thanks to everyone who replied) So they might not be the same, and the good one is what I have in jars in my fridge. I should keep using them, and keep the packet of dried Voss for a backup.

BTW, the 18 month old jar of K-97 didn't wake up. Maybe it would've had a chance if I had decanted off the beer and kept all the sediment instead of pouring off most of it. (the viable yeast may have been at the top)

Thank you. (thanks to everyone who replied) So they might not be the same, and the good one is what I have in jars in my fridge. I should keep using them, and keep the packet of dried Voss for a backup.
I have not done a side by side, but I have brewed with both the Omega liquid Voss and with both Lallemand and Mangrove Jack's dried Voss. I have not noticed any differences between them. I probably have 4 or 5 batches with both the liquid and the dry (where the liquid was one pack that I used for several batches).

Back