For those of you worrying about infection, this is what it looks like

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LoganGoesPlaces

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
This is a peach wheat I made using a bag of peaches I got for free from someone with a peach tree and a can of hopped extract. Since I spent practically nothing on it I was fine with whatever happened to it. It went bad 4-5 weeks ago and I decided to leave it around just to see what happens. It actually looks kind of cool.

IMAG1136.jpg

IMAG1141.jpg

IMAG1143.jpg

These are cool and also kind of pretty like you said. I could imagine these pics in art gallery about brewing - "perfection in imperfection."

I pulled a 2 liter growler off of it when I first noticed the infection. I just poured a glass of it and it's actually pretty good. Aroma is peachy and flavor is actually pretty good. No sign of infection in the growler. I'm a little hesitant to try anything out of the fermenter but if enough people ask it might convince me to give it a try.

Thanks for sharing the pics, that's really neat.

Another vote for sampling it here. It might just be great.

I have to say, if I didn't have a glass wine thief I probably wouldn't have pulled off of this but what the heck. The gunk on the thief is what it looked like when the infection first started, floating on top of the beer. I've seen it before and it usually ends up pretty sour. Flavor was actually not to bad, slightly peachy and sweet with a slightly sour finish. I've enjoyed sours that were way more sour than this so I'm actually considering bottling this and trying it with some carbonation. Not much peach flavor left over though. It's mostly in the aroma.

IMAG1147.jpg

Check your gravity first. If your gravity is stable and very low (around 1.000) then it would be OK to bottle. Outside of that I'd say let it ride a bit. Da Funk is your master now.

Last edited by a moderator:
Honestly, it is kind of pretty. I'd try whatever is under it for sure.

So I pulled a sample off of it last night and it actually wasn't bad. But I seem to have disturbed the film layer and it has settled back down to a more normal looking film. Kind of a bummer actually.

IMAG1150.jpg

Back