For Anyone Thinking of Harvesting Pacman

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rhoman

Reaction score
DO IT!

First, thanks to all for the quick responses to the questions I've asked so far - you both put my nerves at ease and made this a success (hopefully!). When I was researching about harvesting the Pacman, I found it difficult to find all of the "how to make a starter" and "harvesting Pacman" information on one thread -maybe I just suck at using the search feature- so I thought I'd start a thread to make the info slightly more accessible.

I recently harvested some Pacman from two Rogue Shakespeare Stout bottles to use with an Oatmeal Stout. I split the batch, so 2.5 gallons is fermenting with Pacman, the other with Irish Ale 1084 from Wyeast. The Pacman was a great success and has been fermenting like crazy for the past couple days (more vigorously than the 1084!). To anyone that wants to try harvesting some from one of Rogue's bottles, it's incredibly easy and a great way to start altering your extract recipes to learn how different yeast strains change your brews (even a Newbie like me could do it!)

-Bought two bottles of Shakespeare Stout.

-Built a stir-plate via the instructions on this forum (search "home made stir plate" or something similar), which was free and very easy. I was lucky enough to have mom send me a stir bar from her pharmaceutical lab.

-Being far away from my LHBS I used several bottles of Malta Goya (found in International Aisle in grocery store) instead of DME. Worked like a charm, tasted like crap.

-Poured off 4/5ths of the Shakespeare Stout into my stomach, then the yeast at the bottom went into my starter container.

-I used 1:1 ratios of Malta Goya and water, boiled to sanitize and remove CO2, started with half bottle of MG and half bottle of water in a large Erlenmeyer (sp? who knows) flask loosely covered with tin-foil, then stepping up each day (3 days) by doubling the size until 2000mL, keeping the starter on the stir plate continually.

-Two days before I brewed, I crashed the yeast in the fridge for a nice cake, then poured off most of 90% of the fermented Malta Goya in my wort (gross).

-Used a strong magnet to hold the stir-bar in the starter flask so it didnt go in with my brew.

If I left out any important steps, which I'm sure I have, as I've been having myself a few Old Rasputin's add them in, or if you have better instructions, please clarify mine.

I'll let you know how the brew turns out! :mug:

DO IT!

-Used a strong magnet to hold the stir-bar in the starter flask so it didnt go in with my brew.

This is a great idea, my brewing bud and I just started using a magnetic stirrer with our last brew. We had a sterilized strainer to use when pitching the wort so we would prevent the stir bar from going in. Of course that was the one step we forgot. Didn't realize we had pitched the stir bar until the wort was in the fermenter and safely in the fridge.

-kap

Just make sure you ferment at the lower Ale fermenting temps I believe John at Rogue ferments around 60 deg F. I did a pale ale with Pacman fermenting at more like 70 and while I had crazy fermentation it was one clovey mother F'er. I was going to use Pacman for my house yeast but I got lazy, I need to get back into propagating it or at least go to Rogue and get a scoop of yeast to make slants.

Just seems like a lot of work when you can go out and buy a pack of it. But that's just me being a lazy bastid. :D

Got my slant of it sitting in my fridge... Got mine from a few Mocha Porters... Can't wait to figure out what I am using it in...

I have been doing some asking around and one of the pro brewers I know (must remain nameless unless he pipes in here and speaks up) has told me that the packman yeast is (probably) just a California ale yeast. We are going to do a few tests and look at this bad boy under the scope. I will post any findings we come across here. I am not sure when we will get a chance to do this but we will try soon.
Cheers
JJ

Just seems like a lot of work when you can go out and buy a pack of it. But that's just me being a lazy bastid. :D

Then why do you bother brewing, when you can just buy your own beer as well??? ;)

1)It's a challenge.....

2)It's more fun to spend 6 bucks for a 22 ounce bottle of fanfreekintastic BEER, drink that and still get a bunch of amazing yeast afterwards.

3)It's not available at every LHBS (none of the 4 that I shop in can get it, it's only being distrubted to authorized brewcraft distrubitors,) and since I have at least 5 lhbs's in a 1 hour drive (I don't know if number 5 carries it, I've never gone there) I don't bother with online shopping, especially for something I can drink and harvest the yeast from.

Ok, I'm in and I want to try this yeast on my next ale. The problem is that I have never harvested my own yeast. So where the he!! do I start?

I know I need a stir plate, big flask, DME, some mason jars, stirring stick, some good beer with some nice slurry at the bottom :) and some luck is sounds like.

I searched the forums here and there is not a really good explanation of the first steps to take in harvesting, it is usually all about taking it from the leftovers after you rack your beer, but I don't have any pacman to make the beer that I would then get the leftovers after racking it :(

Ok, I'm in and I want to try this yeast on my next ale. The problem is that I have never harvested my own yeast. So where the he!! do I start?

I know I need a stir plate, big flask, DME, some mason jars, stirring stick, some good beer with some nice slurry at the bottom :) and some luck is sounds like.

I searched the forums here and there is not a really good explanation of the first steps to take in harvesting, it is usually all about taking it from the leftovers after you rack your beer, but I don't have any pacman to make the beer that I would then get the leftovers after racking it :(

There's a ton of threads on how to harvest from a bottle on here..this one even has a video....https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f12/pacman-yeast-starter-video-63855/

You'll have to scroll down a couple posts to the actual video..the op posted it wrong, and hasn't returned to fix it, so someone else posted it in the thread...

Back