Food & Brew Pairing #1: Pan Seared Salmon with American Wheat Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
hbt-matt-1-2243.jpg

Pan Seared Salmon with American Wheat Ale
Hello, my name is Matt O'Reilly and I'm a HOMEBREW ENTHUSIAST! I have been brewing for a little over a year, but I have been drinking beer for a little over 15 years. Of those 15 years, 8 of them have been spent pursuing new (to me, or otherwise) beers to try. I love variety and I love anticipation, which is why I homebrew. I also work on the line at one of the best restaurants in Los Angeles. Cooking professionally is what led me to homebrew.
Where I live, in Hermosa Beach, CA a few of the local restaurants began organizing beer dinners on nights when they were generally slow. A former co-worker of mine was working in the kitchen at one of these restaurants and told me about the upcoming dinner, where he would be pairing his chef's food with Oskar Blues Brewery offerings. I wish I had the menu from that night, but it basically went from Mamma's Little Yella Pils all the way up through Dale's Pale Ale and Old Chub and ended with Ten Fidy. Each beer was served alongside a particular dish. This was the first time I recognized beer as a food-pairing beverage.
During the second or third dish (the one that was accompanied by Dale's Pale Ale), I had a semi-buzzed realization. "I can make this!" I thought to myself and then proceeded to whisper to my girlfriend (or "SWMBO" as the Homebrewtalk.com members may refer to her). She replied, "The food? Yeah, probably." And I said, "No. The beer! I can make this!" She looked at me confused and said "You should try." That was the green light.
I went to the local shop and bought all my initial homebrew gear before she had a chance to change her mind. Over the past year and a half I have made about 15 batches of beer. Some of them have actually been good; most notable is my IPA that I have been working on which received a silver certificate from the 2015 National Homebrew Competition. With a little effort anyone can achieve this, but considering it was only my 13th batch of beer, I'm pretty happy with it. Next year I am going for a medal.
In addition to using the judges' notes to improve my beer, I am also learning how to pair beer with my food, not only to enhance my food, but my beer. Foods and brews are two things that I am very passionate about. I enjoy researching and testing food and beer pairings, whether it is in the field at a local restaurant's beer dinner, or at home in my lab. However, I feel that most people do not think about pairing beer with food, which is why I am here: to share my knowledge and help expand the resources available to those interested in pairing their favorite beverage with a meal (or vice versa). Other than being a professional cook, I have no professional experience making beer, tasting beer, or pairing beer. I am not a certified Cicerone, but I am passionate, and I have a good palate. Enough about me, let's get started!
First things first: you are going to need some quality homebrew.
hbt-matt-2-2244.jpg

A Deliciously Refreshing Wheat Beer
Then you will want to understand the basics. When pairing beer with food, you are not trying to achieve the maximum amount of flavor in your mouth all at once. Well, you are, but subtly. You want the flavors of your food to work with the flavors of your beer. Think classical symphony vs. dubstep concert; while they are both musical performances, one is a little easier on your senses, less overwhelming, and even though numerous instruments are being played all at once, they are being done so in harmony. You know, instead of angrily attacking each other in opposition and loudly crushing your soul sound with aggressive sound... or maybe that is just me.
Next you are going to need some inspiration (other than your homebrew)!
hbt-matt-3-2245.jpg

American Wheat, Hefeweizen, Weissbier Or Witbier
Next, you are going to want to decide on a beer and a dish. I chose to go light since summer is nearing and I'm on a health kick. Also, because I have been known to come home from beer tasting research and polish off a quart of Ben & Jerry's: Americone Dream from time to time.
For the purposes of this pairing, you will want an American Wheat Ale, Hefeweizen, or Weissbier. A Witbier will also work well. With an American Wheat Ale, Hefeweizen, or Witbier you are going to want to pick something light to cook. Lighter fish dishes such as salmon or steamed shellfish, with a side of fresh salad or sauted vegetables. Additionally, you could go classic and pair it with some German weisswurst.
I chose to pair my American Wheat Ale with some pan-seared salmon, baby kale salad with a lemon caper vinaigrette, with crispy pancetta and croutons (recipe at bottom). The dish is light and citrusy. The beer is also light and palate cleansing, which helps with the subtle lingering of the fish flavor. Carbonation and effervescence of the beer bring out the citrus and fruit flavor in the dish and also help to quench the salty, briny pops of flavor from the capers and salty fattiness of the crispy pancetta. This is a pairing that you could do for lunch on a weekend, or after coming home from the gym. It has the best of both worlds: it tastes amazing and it won't weigh you down and put you to sleep. Also, I'm sure it is healthy. It has kale, so in my book that's healthy. Every ingredient should be available at your local grocery store, but what do I know? I live in L.A. I have every ingredient known to man at my disposal. Plus, SWMBO will love it, trust me.
Ingredients (makes two portions):
1 lb fresh salmon (cut into two separate filets)
2 cups baby kale or arugula
Kosher salt
Black pepper
For the crispy pancetta and croutons:
2oz. olive oil/grapeseed oil/melted butter
Sourdough bread(about two slices)
40z. pancetta sliced or cubed (bacon will also work)
For the Vinagrette:
4oz. fresh lemon juice (about 4 juicy lemons)
2oz. grapeseed oil (olive oil will work but grapeseed is more neutral in flavor)
1 tbsp capers (roughly chopped)
1 Large Shallot (small diced)
1 tbsp honey
1 tbsp whole grain mustard
1 tbsp dijon mustard
2 tbsp chives (thinly sliced)
Method:
1) Prepare the vinaigrette first by adding diced shallots, chives, capers, mustards, honey, and lemon juice to a bowl. Mix well and slowly drizzle in grapeseed oil. It does not need to be emulsified together, but be sure to mix it again before tossing the kale in it to ensure even distribution of ingredients. Add salt and pepper to taste, cover and reserve in the fridge. This can be made a day ahead of time.
2) Next make the croutons. Render pancetta in a pan over low heat with a little bit of oil (about 1 tbsp) until crispy. While rendering pancetta, dice the sourdough into small cubes, then toss with melted butter or oil and salt and pepper. Toast in the oven for about 12 minutes at 350F, or in a pan over medium heat (I did mine in the rendered fat from the pancetta) until golden brown. Remove oil from pancetta by setting on paper towel. When croutons have cooled, toss the two together and check seasoning. Prepare the day of the meal.
3) For the salmon, get a cast iron pan hot on high heat and add 2 tbsp of oil. Season salmon with salt and pepper. Once oil is hot, add salmon filets skin side down and turn heat down to medium to medium high. Watch for flare-ups. DO NOT MOVE THE FISH! Wait until the fish has seared for a minute or two and then use a spatula to see if the fish will release easily from the pan. If it does, check skin for crispiness. If not, then wait a little longer. Once the fish releases and the skin is crispy, flip the fish and sear for 30 seconds on flesh side and then remove from the pan. Salmon should be cooked to med-rare in about 6-8 minutes, but if more cook
is desired cook for a few seconds longer on flesh side.
4) For the baby kale, stir vinaigrette and toss kale in about of it. Taste and add salt and pepper if desired. Reserve the last of the vinaigrette to drizzle over the salmon. Plate as desired.
hbt-matt-4-2246.jpg

Pairing A Perfect Meal With A Perfect Beer
5) Open a homebrewed American Wheat Ale and enjoy together!
hbt-matt-4-2246.jpg

What a great read. Fantastic pictures. Thanks for the recipe and congrats on the award for the beer. Amazing stuff.

Sometimes I'm just excited to click on a link because of the photo. This is one of those times.

Very cool article, insightful and fun read! I think this is the reason that breweries will stick around for much longer than another "trend". People love good food and pairing with a beer that compliments it.
Also I've always imagined any label I create for a beer I've brewed to say, " Pairings = Pizza" No matter the style!

This looks great. The closest I've come to pairing food and beer is some friends of ours have been having themed pot luck. For Indian night we tried a Light Saison (refreshing but peppery) which went pretty well. Great fun experimenting!
Can the author or anyone else recommend a good read on beer and food pairings?

Yum. Properly cooked fish skin is a wonderfully underappreciated thing. And of course pancetta is a brilliant accompaniment to the fish and the beer.

Thanks for the nice article, thanks for going into why the pairing works. I would love to see more of these. What literature do you use for inspiration/assistance in pairings. I recognize The Brewmaster's Table. What else?

@dodefey sorry for the late reply, but if you're still interested the other book is Beer, Food, and Flavor by Schuleyer Schultz. I also use my knowledge of cooking and utilize beer as almost a seasoning. Essentially You can chose to cut through the flavor of the food or double down. A fatty bacon cheeseburger, for example, pairs well with fizzy yellow water. But, it also pairs well with a hoppy IPA. The fizzy yellow stuff will cut the fat of the meat, cheese, bacon. While an IPA almost brings out all that fat flavor and adds another level of love to it. Bitter, salty, fatty deliciousness.

Back