Fly in starter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MilehighBrew

Reaction score
Ok so yesterday I am working on making my starter and I have never had more problems. I had a couple of small boil overs from my flask on the stove, not a big deal, I then put my nottinghams yeas in water to rehydrate, then I get a massive boilover and had to soak up at least a cup of water. Things are getting worse, I then put in my stir stick to sanitize it in the boil and the thing turned into a massive fountain and I lost my whole starter batch. I clean the stove for the 3rd time and restart my boil with fresh water and DME. I get that done and I set it in the Ice bath to cool and I look at my yeast that is re-hydrating and I notice a black spot, I take off the foil and see a fly in it. Now I am pissed off as I can not go get more yeast yesterday. I decided to pitch the yeast anyway just to get the starter going and think about it while it goes.

Long story I am not feeling good about it but I want to brew today, I think I will go get 2 packs of yeast today and throw out the starter. Just looking for thoughts on if the yeast is ok or contaminated??

Well while that is a bummer I think the real question is why were you making a starter with Nottingham anyway. From what I have read it is not necessary to make a starter with dry yeast and some say it can actually be detrimental to the overall yeast quality.

As Paramecium stated - don't need starter and most certainly don't need fly starter. The beer gods were telling you that but you kept trying to beat them. Who do you think makes boil-overs happen?

Rehydrate dry yeast is good, especially Notty with the recent slow fermenting issues reported.

The fly isn't the mistake, it's the starter with dry yeast. Starters are for liquid strains, not dry ones. Also, careful sanitizing the stir bar on the stove; people have melted them. Just soak it in a little star san. I wouldn't risk it, I'd pick up another satchet of dry yeast and rehydrate and pitch directly in the wort.

Nothing that can make you sick can survive in beer. Only a handfull of taste-altering bacteria can. Unfortunately, flies are crawling with lactobacillus and pediococcus, so unless you were planning on making a lambic or other sour beer, you'd better dump it.

Back