Flat bottomed pot.....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TipsySaint

Reaction score
So i have a flat bottomed pot....100qt 22" diameter.

I am trying to figure out the best way to drain this thing. If my dip tube is even a small amount off the bottom, i leave behind a gallon or so of wort. I just don't want to have to deal with buying extra grain for this level of planned loss.

So....i am thinking of warming it up and slowly tapping it down into a supporting mold and giving it a dimple on the bottom that i can drain towards and put my dip tube above. (it's an aluminum pot btw).

So 2 questions.

1. Any reason that this is a bad plan?
2. Do you have a better/different suggestion?

Thanks111

Teh

:fro::D:rockin:

You're looking at a little more than a gallon per inch. If your dip tube is 1/2-1/4 inch off the bottom you'll lose maybe 1/4-1/2 gallon at most. Tip it if you want more.

Tipping doesn't work that great, I've got the dip tube as short as possible with a 90 degree turn and it's still a good 2" from the wall of the pot so when i tip it still not hitting the dip tube because the pot is so wide.

Are you trying to avoid pulling up trub? If so. I don't think creating a dimple will help, as the trub left behind is not tightly packet enough. If you're not, why not just tip your kettle?

Personally, I just plan bigger batches. I do five gallon batches. I usually leave about 3/4 to 1 gallon in the kettle, and transfer six in the fermenter. Then I transfer five gallons to the keg. Sure I lose some beer along the way, but the extra grain bill costs me about the price of a commercial brew or two (just to put it in perspective). I'm okay with that.

I doubt you need to heat the aluminum for what y ou describe. Just push it down and stretch it into the mold. Do you have a plan for how to set the pot on your burner with the convexed bottom?

I doubt you need to heat the aluminum for what y ou describe. Just push it down and stretch it into the mold. Do you have a plan for how to set the pot on your burner with the convexed bottom?

I am looking at a small dimple and my pot already hangs over the sides of my burner a bit so i'm hoping i can just set the dimple in front of the burner.

But a dimple will really only work if the whole bottom slopes towards it right???

hmmm

Your dip tube could be fashioned to be very close to the bottom of the kettle, say 1/8 - 1/4", and you will be leaving behaving almost nothing besides hops and break.

Doesn't seem worth the effort to install a bottom drain imo.

What size batches are you planning to brew with such a large kettle?

Are you trying to avoid pulling up trub? If so. I don't think creating a dimple will help, as the trub left behind is not tightly packet enough. If you're not, why not just tip your kettle?

Personally, I just plan bigger batches. I do five gallon batches. I usually leave about 3/4 to 1 gallon in the kettle, and transfer six in the fermenter. Then I transfer five gallons to the keg. Sure I lose some beer along the way, but the extra grain bill costs me about the price of a commercial brew or two (just to put it in perspective). I'm okay with that.

The pot is setup to allow for whirlpooling and yeah i'm hoping to avoid pulling trub. I throw my hops into a mesh basket (which i often debate the wisdom of) just to avoid clogging the dip tube as it has such a small amount of clearance that damn near anything will clog it.

You could punt the bottom and then put the dip tube near the perimiter of the kettle at a height that leaves most of the trub behind in the lower area. Fit-up with the burner could be a problem however and may force adding a grate large enough to span the entire kettle.

It's a 2 tier bayou burner setup so the kettle is not locked in place and the burner set is pretty forgiving. I like the punt idea...very interesting....

Back