Flare nuts for picnic taps?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bracconiere

Jolly Alcoholic - In Remembrance 2023
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
anyone ever had the idea to install a male-female, flare combo on the bev line so you can take a picnic tap off and wash it in the sink?

All the picnic taps I've seen have barb connections on them. Can't see an easy way to 'adapt' one to work with a swivel nut. I do have a QD to faucet adapter that I use when I take a small keg with me (1-1/2 gallon Torpedo keg). I usually use a stout faucet since I've been filling that keg with either a stout or porter pushed with nitrogen. I have another adapter I can use with a different faucet if I wish.

Being remote is the only time I've used the picnic taps. Since I have six faucets installed in the keezer collar.

Really? Just push pbw though it. It will clean your keg and tap line simultaneously. Pretty damn simple logic.

Can't see an easy way to 'adapt' one to work with a swivel nut.
my thought was to use two 1/4" barb flare fittings, installed close to the tap. so that i can just take it off, take it apart and clean in the sink.....

so basically, i'd just use some 3/16 line to couple the male flare to a female....thus converting my barbed picnic tap to a male flare?

i already have my 1/4" barbed female things. just need to order the 1/4" barbed male ones from morebeer....

i was just wondering if anyone has done something like that, and if it caused more restriction, or foam or something.....i guess the beer goes through the poppet, so should be fine.

I take the plunger out for much easier and thorough cleaning. Just unscrew that plastic ring around the top, and pull the lever/plunger assembly out.

Once the plunger is removed I can push a long 3/16" tube brush down the line, 3' from each side, for 6' in total. ;)

my thought was to use two 1/4" barb flare fittings, installed close to the tap. so that i can just take it off, take it apart and clean in the sink.....

so basically, i'd just use some 3/16 line to couple the male flare to a female....thus converting my barbed picnic tap to a male flare?

i already have my 1/4" barbed female things. just need to order the 1/4" barbed male ones from morebeer....

i was just wondering if anyone has done something like that, and if it caused more restriction, or foam or something.....i guess the beer goes through the poppet, so should be fine.
IMO, adding the fittings is introducing more potential problems than it would actually solve. As pointed out by IslandLizard, you can run a brush through the line IF needed. Although, if my lines look like they need to be brushed, they get replaced. I run Starsan through them every keg change and will run PBW then rinse water through as needed. Use 10-15psi to push that and you should be all set.

If you need to take the picnic tap apart to clean out schmutz, then do that. But I wouldn't really worry about the lines themselves. I also think adding more threads is adding places for things to get trapped, or for leaks to happen. Even more so if you're using worm clamps.

In the past ~10 years, I've used the picnic tap setup maybe four times (if that). Last couple of times I brought beer to a gathering I've had a faucet directly on the liquid post (via QD) which made things much easier. I used paintball type gas cylinders to push the beer (either CO2 or nitrogen) without issue. At home, I have the faucets installed in my keezer collar, so that's even easier to work with.

I take the plunger out for much easier and thorough cleaning. Just unscrew that plastic ring around the top, and pull the lever/plunger assembly out.

Once the plunger is removed I can push a long 3/16" tube brush down the line, 3' from each side, for 6' in total. ;)

well, my picnic taps go through a hole in my fridge door....so really, taking them apart right now only lets me clean the rubber part....it'd be so much easier if i could just unscrew them from the line, and wash in the sink.

with the barb, i can't really remove them, like i assume, people with fancy dedicated proper beer faucets can....

i got an idea in my head, having the female side of the flare, out side the fridge door. then just have enough 3/16" line to basically convert the barb to a male flare...that way the tap will unscrew. not sure about temp change or anything else, but figure it's worth a shot....

Why not just have the hole through the fridge door large enough for the swivel nut on the line to pass through?? IMO, that would be easier/better than making the convoluted mess you're talking about. Plus, it means spending $0.00 to do it. Assuming you have at least a decent set of drill bits. Of course, that assumes you're using QD's with MFL connections (like normal people) and not barbs there. :p

Why not just have the hole through the fridge door large enough for the swivel nut on the line to pass through?? IMO, that would be easier/better than making the convoluted mess you're talking about. Plus, it means spending $0.00 to do it. Assuming you have at least a decent set of drill bits. Of course, that assumes you're using QD's with MFL connections (like normal people) and not barbs there. :p

i wouldn't want a hole that big in my fridge door, bad enough with the gap for my co2 to go through the gasket on the side.

and it's not convoluted, it'd just be a simple female flare nut on the beer line at the door, and a male flare 'conversion' for the barbed picnic tap....

and one of my beer line does have a barbed ball lock QD, because i have 4 ball lock kegs and only two pin lock, so only need one with a flare to swap between them.....

well just to finish up this thread....and say obviously i was just trying to make small talk, and didn't care what anyone had to say anyway...;) :mug:

1627707582459.png

i can just take off finger tight each keg swap...rinse in the sink! to hell with the nay sayers... :p

When I went to my local HBS to get some additional picnic taps for my "off-site" setup, they suggested a relatively new product, the duotight picnic tap. With the duotight, I can repurpose my liquid qd jumper lines for the picnic taps pretty easily. They are plastic, but convenient and only about a dollar more than the standard ones. Duotight Compatible Plastic Beer Faucet | MoreBeer

(edited for clarity: "site" not "sight", ugh, been a long day)

Last edited:
When I went to my local HBS to get some additional picnic taps for my "off-sight" setup, they suggested a relatively new product, the duotight picnic tap. With the duotight, I can repurpose my liquid qd jumper lines for the picnic taps pretty easily. They are plastic, but convenient and only about a dollar more than the standard ones. Duotight Compatible Plastic Beer Faucet | MoreBeer

that looks like it would be nice, pretty much exactly what i wanted. but i'm digging the SS picnic taps...

I have had and still have various types of taps. But I use picnic taps almost exclusively now days as i carry corny kegs regularly. I still buy my favorite craft beers in sixtels and use picnic taps on their sanke ports using adapters to quick connects. Picnic taps are cheep, portable and easy to clean and sanitize. I get equally good pours from my picnics as from my jockey box or kegerator. And I'm ok with the plastic. Makes for easy identification as beer out is black and gas in is gray.

Looks to be just rust.

I like the SS picnic taps!

I'm loving the SS picnic taps too!

and thanks for the support, but unfortantly, he's got me. i've been having problems with house cleaning the last couple of years. doing my best to get back on top of it!

Back