Cream Ale Fizzy Yellow Beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't know why but I keep getting drawn to Yooper's recipes! Her Ruination Clone I made was outstanding.

Today I did the Fizzy Yellow. More or less the same recipe, just added a bit of Munich and used WLP060 instead of US-05. Has anybody else tried it with this yeast?

I have used WL060 on this recipe and this yeast gives a little bit of a lager taste to the beer. I had to keg it and keep it at 42 F for a couple of weeks to really have the taste come through. I think you will be happy with this substitution.

Just bought all the ingredients for this. Really excited to brew this next in my search for the perfect easy-drinking blonde ale to have on hand at all times.

Just picked up supplies for a partial mash/ partial boil batch of this - 6lbs Vienna, 3.3 lbs Pilsen LME, will bitter with cluster then finish with tettnang per the recipe. Will be batch sparging the vienna to get about a 3.5 gal boil volume ( next step is a bigger kettle). Any recipe advice welcomed as this will only be my 3rd partial mash. 2 questions,

1) can I do the breiss Pilsen light as late extract or does it need to boil for dms?

2) I picked up white labs 001, but will be bottling a batch that used wyeast 2112 that I'd like to reuse. Which would be best?

It's been years, but I finally rebrewed this, but more as a session beer: same grain and hop bills, but at 6 gallons with 75% efficiency. 1.045 OG, about 22 IBU (slightly higher AA% on the hops), and should hit about 4.5-4.8% ABV. Hydrometer sample tasted great, and hopefully my Thanksgiving guests will find this a pleasant change of pace from their usual IC Light. :drunk:

Just picked up supplies for a partial mash/ partial boil batch of this - 6lbs Vienna, 3.3 lbs Pilsen LME, will bitter with cluster then finish with tettnang per the recipe. Will be batch sparging the vienna to get about a 3.5 gal boil volume ( next step is a bigger kettle). Any recipe advice welcomed as this will only be my 3rd partial mash. 2 questions,

1) can I do the breiss Pilsen light as late extract or does it need to boil for dms?

2) I picked up white labs 001, but will be bottling a batch that used wyeast 2112 that I'd like to reuse. Which would be best?

I just saw this, so assume the brewday is long over, but as far as answers:

1. Late extract is fine, no need to boil
2. Either would be great. I'd go with the Wyeast, at a cool temperature, for a more lager-like beer, but either works well.

I just saw this, so assume the brewday is long over, but as far as answers:

1. Late extract is fine, no need to boil
2. Either would be great. I'd go with the Wyeast, at a cool temperature, for a more lager-like beer, but either works well.

Thanks! Finally did this today, life got busy then I decided to wait till i got a big kettle..

Partial mash & my first full boil went well and I was prety close on all my numbers. I tried the wyeast 2112 and have it at 60 - 62°..... fingers crossed that I made good beer...

I'm going to be brewing 10 gallons of this later today. I don't have any Pearle so I'm going to sub magnum for bittering. Other than that I'm making no other changes. I'm looking forward to it.

Brewing this tomorrow.....and....well....turns out I have 6lbs of Vienna and 4lbs of Pilsner... The beer gods act in mysterious ways...who am I to argue? I'll call on saint Yooper to bless this abomination .. :)

So I was thinking of doing this this weekend and picked up the hops today. Realized the tettnang alpha I have are at 2.4. Should I really be using almost 1 oz per addition for this hop?

About done with the mash on this beer right now. I love this beer, this is my third or fourth time with it.... in fact, I decided to go with this tried and true recipe for my first ten gallon batch!

Thanks a ton @yooper

I have only used 05, but any yeast that does not put forth much or any yeast character will work. You could go the lager route but the beauty of this recipe is that it yields a lager like beer without all the work and equipment. Just stick with something clean.

I have only used 05, but any yeast that does not put forth much or any yeast character will work. You could go the lager route but the beauty of this recipe is that it yields a lager like beer without all the work and equipment. Just stick with something clean.

I'll do 05 then. I was wanting to do a lager, but just don't have the time. Thanks!

Aweful brew day ended up working out. Went to get all my equipment in the crawl only to find that construction workers at my home decided to use my spiedel fermentor as a trash can, solder rocks insulation....

Needless to say and after carefully removing everything this brew day worked out great, hit 150 on the nose, 5 gallons at 1.54 and in to the fermentation chamber. Lets hope i got all the crud out of the spiedel

Random question... See above pic. Why is my fizzy yellow beer not yellow this time? I stuck to the recipe and it taste about the same. I did overshoot my volumes and just boil it down for a couple hours. Will that darken a beer? It's an idle curiosity because the only thing that really matters is that I have an easy drinking beer on tap.

I'd bet that your hunch is right. Boiling longer can darken the wort slightly. Could also be different brands of grains used compared to the first time it was brewed, which may have had made it slightly darker. Hard to say, but if the taste is good then all is good! Cheers!

Random question... See above pic. Why is my fizzy yellow beer not yellow this time? I stuck to the recipe and it taste about the same. I did overshoot my volumes and just boil it down for a couple hours. Will that darken a beer? It's an idle curiosity because the only thing that really matters is that I have an easy drinking beer on tap.

Boiling for an extended period of time can darken a beer. It occurs through what are called Maillard reactions. It can change the flavor slightly, but it generally takes a lot of boiling to get a significant change.

Yooper, help me out. You have two different Cream Ales that both seem pretty popular on here. Can you tell me which you consider better or maybe even describe the difference? Here are the recipes:

This thread.

7 lbs Vienna Malt (3.5 SRM) Grain 70.00 %
3 lbs Pilsner (2 Row) UK (1.0 SRM) Grain 30.00 %
0.50 oz Pearle [8.40 %] (60 min) Hops 14.4 IBU
0.50 oz Tettnang [4.20 %] (45 min) Hops 6.6 IBU
0.50 oz Tettnang [4.20 %] (0 min) Hops -
1 Pkgs Safale US-05 (Fermentis #US-05) Yeast-Ale

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=33242

Second, recipe

8 pounds maris otter
1 pound flaked corn
8 ounces biscuit malt
8 ounces carapils

1 ounces hersbrucker (60)
1/2 ounce saaz (10)
1/2 ounce saaz (flameout)

Mash at 150 for 75 minutes

I just tried the first sample of this beer. Wow. Came out exactly as hoped - great golden colour - I would describe it as a better-tasting BMC with no nasty hop bitterness or aftertaste and a nice clean background maltiness. Can't wait to brew a full-sized batch and serve this to the mates. Only minor complaint is that it had no head whatsoever, could be that it's still fresh or maybe that's just what happens with these dry beers.

I modded the recipe a bit, due to what I had on hand. Subbed in 10% Munich since I ran out of Vienna. Gave it a bit more maltiness and a darker colour I think. Also used Motueka and Liberty for hops since that's what I had. Mine finished at 1.007 and grain to glass in 17 days (bottle conditioning) which is not bad for a 5.4% ABV beer.

Wouldn't change a thing next time. Thanks Enderwig / Yooper :tank:

I just tried the first sample of this beer. Wow. Came out exactly as hoped - great golden colour - I would describe it as a better-tasting BMC with no nasty hop bitterness or aftertaste and a nice clean background maltiness. Can't wait to brew a full-sized batch and serve this to the mates. Only minor complaint is that it had no head whatsoever, could be that it's still fresh or maybe that's just what happens with these dry beers.

I modded the recipe a bit, due to what I had on hand. Subbed in 10% Munich since I ran out of Vienna. Gave it a bit more maltiness and a darker colour I think. Also used Motueka and Liberty for hops since that's what I had. Mine finished at 1.007 and grain to glass in 17 days (bottle conditioning) which is not bad for a 5.4% ABV beer.

Wouldn't change a thing next time. Thanks Enderwig / Yooper :tank:

Wow, most all my beers typically need bottle conditioning for at least 2 weeks, sometimes 3, before fully carbonated. How long did you ferment before bottling?

Wow, most all my beers typically need bottle conditioning for at least 2 weeks, sometimes 3, before fully carbonated. How long did you ferment before bottling?

According to my notes it hit FG on day 7, crash cooled on day 9, bottled on day 12, first taste on day 17. I would serve this to guests as is, the carbonation is good enough, but no doubt it will be better with 1-2 weeks more to fully carb (and maybe develop some head).

I find some beers carb real fast and others take forever. Where you store them makes a big difference in my experience, as does the time of the year.

According to my notes it hit FG on day 7, crash cooled on day 9, bottled on day 12, first taste on day 17. I would serve this to guests as is, the carbonation is good enough, but no doubt it will be better with 1-2 weeks more to fully carb (and maybe develop some head).

I find some beers carb real fast and others take forever. Where you store them makes a big difference in my experience, as does the time of the year.

True that. Storage conditions and type of beer do make a difference in my experience. I have had beers "carbed" in 5-7 days, but it mostly fizzes out very fast and leaves a pretty flat beer with no or little head. I always taste one at one week, just to see how it's coming along. Never as good as 2-3 weeks or longer afterwards, but I can't help popping one sooner - for research. [emoji51]. A couple extra weeks almost always develops more of a "lasting" head and carbonation. Anywho, not criticizing, was just curious about your process with such quick turnaround. I brewed this a couple years ago. Might need to circle back for a round 2. Glad to hear yours was a success. Cheers! [emoji482]

Oh Man I am confused now.. I had been searching for a nice light summer beer for myself and all of BMC only drinking family. Right before I found this thread I had decided I was going to make Biermuncher's Centennial Blonde.. Now after seeing all of the pics, and reading about this one. I am torn. Such a problem to have, which awesome beer to try next lol.

Can anyone comment on using the 34/70 yeast with this recipe? I know I saw at least one mention of it, but don't remember seeing any feedback about the overall flavor.

It's funny that you mentioned 34/70 and Biermuncher's centennial blonde. Just last weekend I brewed BMs blonde and considered doing 34/70 but ended up using a kolsch yeast. I took a gravity (tasting) sample yesterday and couldn't be happier with how it turned out with the kolsch yeast. 34/70 is pretty neutral so I don't think you could really go wrong with that choice.

I have a question about the original recipe. I have almost 50 pounds of imported pilsner malt, and the remnants of a bag of American pale ale malt (3.5 to 4L). Are pale ale malt and Vienna pretty close?

Thinking of weighing out the ale malt (it's probably almost 7 pounds), then add enough pils malt to get 10 pounds total.

It's funny that you mentioned 34/70 and Biermuncher's centennial blonde. Just last weekend I brewed BMs blonde and considered doing 34/70 but ended up using a kolsch yeast. I took a gravity (tasting) sample yesterday and couldn't be happier with how it turned out with the kolsch yeast. 34/70 is pretty neutral so I don't think you could really go wrong with that choice.

I have not tried the Kolsch yeast yet, I am still very green with all of the million different strains and their respective flavoring lol. I just switched from extract to all grain, so I am trying to dial that whole process in still.. Baby steps :mug:

Yooper's Fizzy Yellow Lager. Kept everything the same, just fermented it cool with 34/70.

View attachment 390597

Funny I did exactly the same thing.. It tastes awesome, and was a huge hit with everyone who has tried it.. The only difference is it came in at 6% ABV since I over shot my mark in my first attempt at using both beersmith and BIAB. It's more like a swinging blonde who will knock you out if you're not paying attention to how fast you are drinking.

Attachments

• 20170225_162118.jpg
    20170225_162118.jpg
    137.2 KB · Views: 177
Seems like people are getting a pretty wide range of colors (even allowing for different lighting and cameras) and heads; see the last 2 pictures for example. Presumably that's to do with the fraction of Vienna used.

I used 100% Vienna and a Kolsch yeast and got a darker, near-headless beer (like JonM's) with hints of black cherry to it.

Seems like people are getting a pretty wide range of colors (even allowing for different lighting and cameras) and heads; see the last 2 pictures for example. Presumably that's to do with the fraction of Vienna used.

I used 100% Vienna and a Kolsch yeast and got a darker, near-headless beer (like JonM's) with hints of black cherry to it.

I have brewed this beer a dozen times on three different systems. Taste I can nail down and know what changed. Color has been all over the place. All I know is, fizzy yellow beer taste amazing even if it is red/brown.

Back