Cream Ale Fizzy Yellow Beer

HomeBrewTalk.com - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Community.

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

z-bob

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Just put in the grain order at the LHBS. Going to be using Magnum (since I have a ton in the freezer) to bitter with instead of Perle. Will be using tettnang also. I have a pinch of Nugget hops left. Do you think I could sub in a pinch of that with Magnum (if needed to hit the ibus) as the first wort addition?
A pinch of Nugget hops isn't going to do anything noticeable in my opinion except add bitterness, although I've never done FWH. Nugget is so bitter, that's all you're going to get if you add it early in the boil (it's very useful for that)

rtstrider

Reaction score
A pinch of Nugget hops isn't going to do anything noticeable in my opinion except add bitterness, although I've never done FWH. Nugget is so bitter, that's all you're going to get if you add it early in the boil (it's very useful for that)
Yeah I may just add the pinch then (plus a pinch of Magnum if needed). Long story short I have some older hops in the chest freezer that need to be used ;)

rtstrider

Reaction score
Bottled this a few days ago and I'll be honest. This was not anywhere near my favorite recipe. It's way too malty and way too hoppy imo. This might've been better paired with a German lager yeast (Wyeast 2124) instead of Chico and mashed LOW (147F). That would dry it out a good bit more and I think it'd be drinkable at that point. Somethings just "off" with this. Anywho I also brewed Biermunchers Cream of Three Crops cream ale right after this brew day. That is a different breed altogether. It honestly reminds me a good bit of PBR. I may be one of the few that didn't care for this but I at least wanted to throw around some constructive criticism ;)

Snark_Wolf_Brewing

Snark Wolf Brewing
Reaction score
Just sampled my first bottle after having it sit in the fridge overnight. WOW! Nice and malty, but not too malty. Nice hops character. Definitely not an average tasting BMC style beer! Thinking next time around when I brew this, I might get a little crazy and see what would happen if I switched up the grain bill and went with 7 pounds of Pilsner and 3 pounds of Vienna while keeping the hops the same.