Cream Ale Fizzy Yellow Beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've been slinking around the website for awhile without really commenting much but this recipe is great. it was my first batch with my new blichmann breweasy so my numbers were a little sketchy but it came out great.

Just pitched yeast on my first try at this one. Followed the recipe to the letter and pitched 05 from a starter I had made big enough to cover a couple of batches. This was my third brew of the day and I am tired! Thanks for the recipe, I am excited about this one. I need to brew more beers that don't cost a hop fortune.

Just pitched yeast on my first try at this one. Followed the recipe to the letter and pitched 05 from a starter I had made big enough to cover a couple of batches. This was my third brew of the day and I am tired! Thanks for the recipe, I am excited about this one. I need to brew more beers that don't cost a hop fortune.

I am brewing this one right now, it's my second brew of the day and I am dead tired, I can't imagine how tired you must be. This is my third time brewing this recipe, it's ridiculously delicious you wont regret making this one. This beer has tons of malty Vienna flavor.

I did mess up on my second batch of this. Used RO water(my new house has a rust problem) but forgot my mineral additions.:drunk: It tastes as if I tried to clone a BMC. I will bottle and give to BMC drinkers as Christmas presents :rockin: and brew another batch.

Wow it is really dark.

That looks to be right on track color wise. Beers always look darker in larger quantities like fermenters, especially with the yeast still in suspension.
The times I have made this wonderful beer it has been a beautiful golden color, maybe 5.0 to 5.5 SRM, the photo looks like a really healthy aggressive fermentation, I would anticipate some really great beer.

That looks to be right on track color wise. Beers always look darker in larger quantities like fermenters, especially with the yeast still in suspension.

The times I have made this wonderful beer it has been a beautiful golden color, maybe 5.0 to 5.5 SRM, the photo looks like a really healthy aggressive fermentation, I would anticipate some really great beer.

I fermented it a little cool (64 ambient, 68 in the carboy). Krausen is gone and carboy was at ambient when I left town this morning. I am going to warm it to 70 for a day when I get home to make sure it is done and then cold crash it. From there it will get kegged and I will post the color. I expect it to be on the very light side of gold. Alewhatcuresyou, as you have some experience with this one and are also brewing it now, I would love to swap a couple bottles for comparison and educations sake.

I fermented it a little cool (64 ambient, 68 in the carboy). Krausen is gone and carboy was at ambient when I left town this morning. I am going to warm it to 70 for a day when I get home to make sure it is done and then cold crash it. From there it will get kegged and I will post the color. I expect it to be on the very light side of gold. Alewhatcuresyou, as you have some experience with this one and are also brewing it now, I would love to swap a couple bottles for comparison and educations sake.

A bottle swap sounds great, I'll PM you my address. I have a case left from the last batch that's carbed and ready to go so send me your info and I will get those in the mail ASAP I'm thinking about brewing a fourth batch this coming weekend, it just doesn't last around here.

I have been using WLP001 and US 05. I ferment in a freezer with a controller at 62f actual wort temp. for three weeks in primary (no secondary) after 3 weeks I cold crash to 34f for three days and then fine with gelatin and bottle after three more days at 34f

I'm gonna give this a shot as my first BIAB. How critical is the fermentation temp? My fermentation area (closet) is a pretty steady 68*. Which is a few degrees higher than the recipe.

Well, kegged my YFYB the other day got it carbed and its pretty great!

How well does this age? After 4 weeks primary and into the keg, when do you guys think this will be at its peak?

How well does this age? After 4 weeks primary and into the keg, when do you guys think this will be at its peak?

6-8 weeks? Not sure exactly. It definitely improved after a few weeks in the keg, but it's not exactly a recipe that lends itself to long term aging.

I've never done a four week primary with such a light beer, but it seems that it would be best after some cold conditioning, maybe two weeks or so. I generally don't do super long primaries.

I did this one as per the OP
After 2 weeks in primary it's at 1006

Is this too dry? Am I fermenting too high? At the moment it's sitting at 20*

I did this one as per the OP
After 2 weeks in primary it's at 1006

Is this too dry? Am I fermenting too high? At the moment it's sitting at 20*

Mine came out at 1.008 once, and I think 1.007 once. It's supposed to be crisp and dry, so that's fine! 20C is fine, also. You can put it someplace cold if you want, to help it clear, before bottling it if it's cloudy but it can be bottled when you're ready.

my version, using what I have on hand is-
5# Vienna
5# 2 row
7.9 0z. sugar (just because)
.5 US Goldings 60
.5 Us Goldings 30
.5 US Goldings 0
US-05 rehydrated
First BIAB...just to try it
OG 1.068
FG- 1.011 (@27 days)
Bottling today and it tastes great...can't wait for it to carb in the bottles...

Great looking recipe I'm thinking of brewing this soon. I was just wondering about water adjustments.
My tap water has these values.

Ca:19 mg/l
Mg:3 mg/l
Na:12 mg/l
SO4:27 mg/l
Cl:0,1 mg/l
HCO3:45 mg/l
pH:8,4

Should I make any adjustments / use RO water?

Want to brew this, just can't decide to do 100% vienna or add some two-row to use up an open sack (like 2#?)

Mashing in now: 80/20%
After a horrific mash temp fight, did get an OG at 1.051, IBU the same at 21 [used my scraps laying around: magnum to bitter (60 min), calypso (20 min) and hallertauer (flame out)]. w/ rehydrated US-05, will report back in 10-14 days.
4/27/15 update: 1.010 FG and delicious, even with pretty high (66-68* fermometer temp. readings). Kegging it tonight for Saturday Kentucky Derby party.

Last edited:
Here's a more straightforward question: do I need to use acid malt or make calcium additions to obtain a proper mash pH? I don't really know much about the acidity of vienna...

Bumping this, would really appreciate an answer. Maybe this is the wrong section for this question...

When I brew this, I start with RO water and make a small CaCl addition and add a few ounces of acid malt.

I don't really have access to cheap RO water (I'm not american), but my tap water is rather soft. I think I'm going to go with what you described, adding acid malt to about 2% of the grain bill and making some minor calcium additions (maybe both CaCl and gypsum?). Thanks for the input anyway :)

Last edited:
I don't really have access to cheap RO water (I'm not american), but my tap water is rather soft. I think I'm going to go with what you described, adding acid malt to about 2% of the grain bill and making some minor calcium additions (maybe both CaCl and gypsum?). Thanks for the input anyway :)

Can you get distilled water? Works the same way for our purposes.

I'm looking for a crowd pleaser and narrowed it down to Fizzy Yellow & Cream of 3 Crops. I am sure I cant go wrong either way - but can anyone compare the two for me? Looking to brew this up this weekend.

I'm looking for a crowd pleaser and narrowed it down to Fizzy Yellow & Cream of 3 Crops. I am sure I cant go wrong either way - but can anyone compare the two for me? Looking to brew this up this weekend.

FYB is a bit "richer" if that makes sense, because it certainly isn't a full bodied beer by any means, while the Cream of Three Crops is thinner, drier, and a bit crisper in the finish- more like a cream ale or light lager in the feeling.

Here's a more straightforward question: do I need to use acid malt or make calcium additions to obtain a proper mash pH? I don't really know much about the acidity of vienna...

Maybe. It depends on the water you are starting with. Not knowing exactly what already is in the water makes it impossible for any of us to say.

You want to target a mash pH (not water pH!) of 5.3-5.4 and calcium of 50-70 ppm is great, but more or less is good as well.

Maybe. It depends on the water you are starting with. Not knowing exactly what already is in the water makes it impossible for any of us to say.

You want to target a mash pH (not water pH!) of 5.3-5.4 and calcium of 50-70 ppm is great, but more or less is good as well.

This is from my water report. I don't know how much Ca I can add without the Cl or SO4 going to high.

This is from my water report. I don't know how much Ca I can add without the Cl or SO4 going to high.

Oh, that looks good. If you want to add a bit of calcium chloride, you could and it will help the beer clear better but it isn't strictly necessary. Some acid malt would get the mash pH to where it should be, or some lactic or phosphoric acid. A brewing water spreadsheet can help alot with that, so you know how much to use to get started. There are several free ones on the internet- I like bru'n water or Brewer's Friend's calculators for that.

Latest posts

Back