Fist One One Gallon Batch

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WTexan

Reaction score
This is my first one gallon batch and it does not look anything I have ever done. On brew day I did exactly the same thing as if it were a five gallon batch. When I pitched my yeast I did use a complete vile of WLP080 Cream Ale Yeast Blend. My temp is set at 68 degrees. This going on the second week of fermentation.
Could I have use too much yeast? Has anyone ever seen or had this trouble?

image-1830445837.jpg

I don't think you pitched too much yeast. A whole vial is probably more than you need (and really expensive) for just one gallon unless this is a barley wine, which it doesn't appear to be, but I wouldn't think it's too much. The junk at the top looks like coagulated protein that didn't get left behind in the brew pot. Did you whirlpool or filter at all?

FreddyMar3 said:
I don't think you pitched too much yeast. A whole vial is probably more than you need (and really expensive) for just one gallon unless this is a barley wine, which it doesn't appear to be, but I wouldn't think it's too much. The junk at the top looks like coagulated protein that didn't get left behind in the brew pot. Did you whirlpool or filter at all?

No I did not. Honestly I have never heard of doing that, how is the best way to do that.

There are a bunch of threads on whirlpooling methods. It depends on what type of equipment you are using. I am guessing you made this batch with a simple 2 or 3 gallon pot? All you would do is create a fast whirlpool in the wort with your spoon while its chilling and it forces some of the trub and sediment to pile up in the middle of your pot. The hard part is leaving that stuff behind. You can't just dump the beer in your jug or it will all get mixed in. You'd have to try to siphon from the side of the pot so as to not disturb the pile (unless you have a ball valve on the pot).

All that said, your beer should be fine. Over time that stuff should settle out in the bottom. What style of beer is it. Lager? Did you use whirfloc?

FreddyMar3 said:
There are a bunch of threads on whirlpooling methods. It depends on what type of equipment you are using. I am guessing you made this batch with a simple 2 or 3 gallon pot? All you would do is create a fast whirlpool in the wort with your spoon while its chilling and it forces some of the trub and sediment to pile up in the middle of your pot. The hard part is leaving that stuff behind. You can't just dump the beer in your jug or it will all get mixed in. You'd have to try to siphon from the side of the pot so as to not disturb the pile (unless you have a ball valve on the pot).

All that said, your beer should be fine. Over time that stuff should settle out in the bottom. What style of beer is it. Lager? Did you use whirfloc?

This is going to be a Cream Ale. I make it all the time in 5 gal batches but, this time I tried some different hops.

FreddyMar3 said:
Well hopefully it all settles out. If not, just tell people you are storing a brain in your fridge.

That's what a co-worker told me. Do you think I could cold crash it to settle it? If so what is the best way to do that? I have never cold crashed before.

You could certainly cold crash it but make sure fermentation is complete first. What is your gravity reading? I've never cold crashed myself but there is a ton of discussion on here regarding methods. I believe the standard is 35-40 degrees F for 1-3 days.

Back