First yeast harvest

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ModlrMike

Reaction score
So, I brewed an English Sparkling Ale about 10 days ago using Arset Kveik, and harvested the slurry. To my eye, the trub and the yeast appear the same colour, so I don't have that nice pale portion so many examples show. I intend to do an IPA this week, and I'm wondering if I just pitch say 100ml of slurry in, or make a starter and grow fresh yeast.

Secondly, if I were looking to have a cleaner harvest, would it be better to transfer to secondary at some point, and then harvest from there? From what I've read, the trub will be less, and the yeast will be better.

After the IPA, I would like to make a Belgian Table Beer or a Wit, but I'll probably get a more specific strain for that.

Comments?

You want to harvest the most active yeast. I’d say shy of top cropping, the primary would be more active.
There’s some links on here about yeast cleaning that can help separate the trub. I personally don’t sweat it. I decant the old beer out of the mason jars I keep yeast in and then pitch the whole jar. Trub and all.
I figure that little bit of trub shouldn’t effect much.

Kveik is the exception. I just plop about a quarter cup in a 5 gallon batch.
Kveik is the exception. I just plop about a quarter cup in a 5 gallon batch.

all that said, I save yeast mostly so I don’t have to make a starter.

I collect and put in fridge. Pour off the beer and scoop out what you need and cover to warm up while you brew. SANITIZE everything. Kveik use a lot less. I use 1/2 tsp for my 1-1.5 gallon batches.

Back