First time using "Oat malt" questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jimbodaman

Reaction score
Figured I'd try something new in my Oatmeal stout, ordered 1lb of "Fawcett Oat malt". I was wondering ...
1) Should I do a protein rest ?
2) Do I run it through the mill?
3) Do I need to bake it in the oven?

I was hoping it was the easy way out as far as making beer with oats.

Depends on if it's pre-gelatinized.. I usually use instant oats for that purpose. If it's not then you need to do a cereal mash in order to gelatinize the starches so the malt enzymes will break them down.

Depends on if it's pre-gelatinized.. I usually use instant oats for that purpose. If it's not then you need to do a cereal mash in order to gelatinize the starches so the malt enzymes will break them down.

He is using oat malt not plain or flaked oats. Any malted grain should be able to convert on its own.

Figured I'd try something new in my Oatmeal stout, ordered 1lb of "Fawcett Oat malt". I was wondering ...
1) Should I do a protein rest ?
2) Do I run it through the mill?
3) Do I need to bake it in the oven?

No, for oat malt there is no reason at all to bake it or do a protein rest. Yes, to milling it with the other grains.

Latest posts

Back