First time using liquid yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

niner_rock

Reaction score
I am planning on brewing today using liquid yeast for the first time. When the kit arrived in Tuesday the package had already swollen and I put it in the refrigerator immediately. Since it had already seemingly been activated an I ok to take it out a few hours before brewing today or am I cutting it too close?

You really should be making a starter unless you are brewing a very low gravity beer or doing a small batch. I would read up on this and do it on future batches. Mrmalty.com and yeastcalc.com have a lot of information on making starters.

For now, I would try to break the inner pack of nutrient and let it sit out for a few hours. If you can't break the inner pack I would take it out when you start to brew and try to have it about the same temperature as the wort when you pitch. I would also sanitize carefully and add the nutrient to the fermenter.

I definitely need to read up on how to do a yeast starter and I plan on doing that for my next batch.

It seems like the seal is already broken because the package is swollen to the point where I cannot squeeze it without the fear if it bursting. I am going to try and take out a few hours before time to pitch.

The amount a pack might swell on it's own is variable. It does not mean the nutrient pack has broken and does not mean the yeast is bad. Go ahead and pitch and add the nutrient if it has not already mixed in.

So I won't be able to tell until after it has been open, but add all contents in pouch?

Sorry if I'm asking what you've already said.

Open the pack and pull out the inert packet with sanitized fingers, if its not broken, cut it open with sanitized scissors and pitch its contents and the yeast at the same time.

+1 to learning how to make and use starters as it is highly recommended with liquid yeast strains.

Open the pack and pull out the inert packet with sanitized fingers, if its not broken, cut it open with sanitized scissors and pitch its contents and the yeast at the same time.

+1 to learning how to make and use starters as it is highly recommended with liquid yeast strains.

i would just pitch the yeast and leave the tiny bit of wort in the packet right where it is, there is nothing special about it and you are pitching the yeast into a larger quantity of wort anyway.

Based on your description and the time of year, it's quite possible that your yeast saw some high temps during shipping. The cell count may be a whole lot less than the 100 billion from when it left the factory in San Diego.

I wouldn't pitch this smack pack w/o making a starter. Try to get your hands on a packet of dry yeast locally if possible and use that instead.

Latest posts

Back