First time using Kolsch wyeast 2565

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I am fairly new to the Homebrew scene, I am going to start my 4th batch this weekend, all priors have turned out well. I am still using extract kits at this point. I love a good Kolsch beer and am using a kit off Morebeer.com. I am going to use wyeast 2565. I have read hundreds of different people say different fermentation times and temps for this yeast. Can someone who has used this yeast in a Kolsch please give me a ballpark of how long primary and secondary at what temps? I have the equipment to keep it at any temp in the hot state of Texas I live in. Thank you for any help.

Here is the recipe,

Malt Extracts / Additions:
Turn burner off before adding. Boil for 60 minutes.
Steeping Grain:
Use a grain bag. Add to water immediately. Remove steeping grain at 170F
Hops:
Wort Clarifying Treatment:
4 lbs German Pilsner 2 lbs Light DME
4 oz Maltodextrin
8 oz Crystal 15L
1 oz Perle 1 oz Saaz
● Bittering Hops boiled for 60 minutes
● Aroma Hops are boiled the last 1 minute
Clarifier – Whirlfloc (Use 1⁄2 - 1 Tablet) - Add last 5Admdintuotetsheoflathset 5bomil inutes of the boil (improves beer clarity Priming Sugar added at Bottling:
4 oz Corn Sugar – Boil with 2 cups of water for 5 minutes

I've used it a couple times in a Kolsch. I had best results keeping it in the low 60s, which gave me a clean, delicate flavor. Bump it up to upper 60s the last couple days to help the yeast clean up. Fermentation times for me were 2 to 3 weeks, but YMMV. I don't secondary. Don't bottle until the final gravity readings are the same 3 daily measurements in a row.

Thanks. I have a bucket and 2 5 gallon carboys. If I put a 5 gallon batch in the 5 gallon carboy I get krausen coming out of blow off tube.... Just not enough room. So I start in bucket, then move to carboy to get off trub and mainly to be able to SEE what's going on! So say 62 for 2 weeks? Move to secondary then bump up to 68 a week. Keg? Sound like that should be good for this yeast?

Thanks. I have a bucket and 2 5 gallon carboys. If I put a 5 gallon batch in the 5 gallon carboy I get krausen coming out of blow off tube.... Just not enough room. So I start in bucket, then move to carboy to get off trub and mainly to be able to SEE what's going on! So say 62 for 2 weeks? Move to secondary then bump up to 68 a week. Keg? Sound like that should be good for this yeast?

Good plan!

Yes, ferment at 60F - 62F for likely around 12-14 days. Wouldn't hurt to bump up for a few days, but may not be necessary.

This yeast is a very poor flocculator, so you'll probably want to add some gelatin when kegging. And even then, it'll need several days to be good, but a few weeks to really clarify.

I used this yeast in my last Kölsch and it turned out fantastic. I fermented @62 for 14 days and then let it rise to 68 for 7 days before I crashed @32 for another 7 days prior to bottling.
Don't mess with transferring it. All you're doing is asking for trouble. It's a great yeast so just let it do its thing in one vessel and all will be great.
Here is mine after 3week lager period and no fining agents. View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1443061009.550200.jpg

I have tried many temps for that strain (most recent was 61F). My favorite has been 58F. I pitch a 3 L starter (crashed and decanted). Takes 5-6 days for me to hit about 80% fermentation, then I turn it up to 65 it so for 2 days to finish up. Drop it to 35F, rack to secondary, and lager for 3 weeks @ 34 F (on gelatin). Cheers!

Back