First Time Steeping Grains - Help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Celtics76

Reaction score
After brewing 2 mediocre Mr. Beer batches (The Irish Stout), I've decided to "raise my game" and start steeping grains. I'm still going to use the 2 gallon Mr. Beer keg, as I like doing small batches. Here's the recipe I've built:

2lbs Munton's Malt Extract Hopped Light
12 oz. Roasted Barley, Chocolate Malt, Crystal Malt steeping grains
5g Sufale S-04 dry ale yeast

Once grains are steeped, I will remove the bag, and turn the heat up. Once boiling, I'll remove from heat and add the extract. In the meantime, I'll fill my Mr. Beer keg with 4 quarts of cold water.
Next I'll pour the wort into the Mr. Beer keg, then add more water until I get to the 8 quart mark.
Once the temp of the keg is suitable (60-65 degrees), I'll pitch the yeast, screw the top on, and store appropriately.

How does this sound? Is 2 lbs of extract enough if I'm looking for 4-5% ABV? How do my other measurements (yeast, grains) look? Also, for a stout, I assume I need to allocate a higher ratio of roasted barley vs. the other grains?

Thanks!

Looks OK, although I have found that those hopped extracts are kind of nasty tasting. I think you would do better by using a regular extract, and using 1 oz. of hop pellets in the boil. For a Stout, use any English variety. I think you'll find it much better.
Yes for a Irish Stout I would use about 1/2 of your steeping grains as the Roasted Barley, then maybe 1/4 the chocolate malt and 1/4 crystal 60,90, or 120.
This is all off the top of my head- I haven't run your recipe through a formula creater. A free on-line one is 'Brewtoad.com'. There are others, both free and $, both on-line, desktop, and mobile. Using one makes it easier for you, and makes sure your recipe is within the parameters of the style you're shooting for. Good luck! :mug:
By the way- your planned procedure looks perfect. Steep the grains at between 140-150 for 1/2 hour and you're good-to-go.

Looks OK, although I have found that those hopped extracts are kind of nasty tasting. I think you would do better by using a regular extract, and using 1 oz. of hop pellets in the boil. For a Stout, use any English variety. I think you'll find it much better.
Yes for a Irish Stout I would use about 1/2 of your steeping grains as the Roasted Barley, then maybe 1/4 the chocolate malt and 1/4 crystal 60,90, or 120.
This is all off the top of my head- I haven't run your recipe through a formula creater. A free on-line one is 'Brewtoad.com'. There are others, both free and $, both on-line, desktop, and mobile. Using one makes it easier for you, and makes sure your recipe is within the parameters of the style you're shooting for. Good luck! :mug:

Thanks for the advice and for recommending Brewtoad. It likes my recipe for an Irish Stout, though with only 2lbs of extract it will only be roughly 3% ABV. So I'm going to bump it up to 2.5 lbs to get it up to 4%.

Back