First time pils noob

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Redpiper1

Reaction score
Hi guys/gals. Long time listener, first time caller. Ok so I looked thru the forum quite a bit and I hope it's ok to post this here.
Anyway, I brewed my first pils yesterday and have a couple questions because I had difficulty getting my wort down below 70°. I live in Michigan and the temp yesterday got up to 40 but my wort chiller just wouldn't do it. Unfortunately I was in a bit of a hurry and couldn't let it run until it was able to get to ground water temp of 55. I used 2 packets of Saflager S-23 that I made a starter from and it shows optimal pitching temps of 51 to 59°.

I pitched at 72 and placed it in my mini fridge which was at 50°.

Ok so my questions:
1. Did I pitch at too high of a temp ?
2. What's the average time at 50° I should start to see some fermentation activity ?

Thanks for anything and everything in advance !

In my opinion i like to pitch at like 45F and let it raise to 50-52F depending on yeast strain, i have seen lager fermentation start as soon as 12-24 hours @ 50F..gotta pitch heavy

In my opinion i like to pitch at like 45F and let it raise to 50-52F depending on yeast strain, i have seen lager fermentation start as soon as 12-24 hours @ 50F..gotta pitch heavy

Thanks. Yeah I've got a bit to learn with this style. My wife and a few others have been pressuring me to make "regular beer" lol for some time now but I've been telling them this style is believe it or not actually quite involved to make.

+1 on this. This is what I like to do.

Like @MattyHBT said, pitching heavy is a good thing. Depending on where you're reading the pitching rate is basically double that of an ale fermentation and it looks like you did just fine on that part. With my lagers, I don't think they're ever lagged more than 12 hours when I've pitched them at the "proper" rate but honestly I just pitch then check it the next day and then walk away. I've seen the pitch warm and cool to fermentation temp thing too but it never made much sense to go through all that, especially since my understanding of ester production is that it mostly happens during the primary growth phase( first couple days after pitching).

+1 on this. This is what I like to do.

Like @MattyHBT said, pitching heavy is a good thing. Depending on where you're reading the pitching rate is basically double that of an ale fermentation and it looks like you did just fine on that part. With my lagers, I don't think they're ever lagged more than 12 hours when I've pitched them at the "proper" rate but honestly I just pitch then check it the next day and then walk away. I've seen the pitch warm and cool to fermentation temp thing too but it never made much sense to go through all that, especially since my understanding of ester production is that it mostly happens during the primary growth phase( first couple days after pitching).

Thanks. Yeah I just checked and saw it gurgle and it was about 18 so hopefully I'll do ok. Thanks again.

I don't see pitching at 70 causing any issues. The fridge most likely got the temp down to 50 by the time the yeast started taking off. White labs actually recommends pitching warm for a quick takeoff and dropping the temp after piching. The actually a thread on the forum about warm fermenting a Lager

Yeah white labs also says you can pitch straight from pack but we all still make starters..im sure someone can make a decent lager with pitching warm and then lowering temps but I never did.

Yeah white labs also says you can pitch straight from pack but we all still make starters..im sure someone can make a decent lager with pitching warm and then lowering temps but I never did.
I've actually never made a starter but mostly use dry yeast. The few times I used White Labs I just pitched 2 packs. I figure I reuse it so many times I get my moneys worth.
Nice Avatar,,,Seen Maiden many times. I think Seventh Son was my first show back in the day when Metal ruled the world up until their last show a few months back...good shows except they always play their newest album practically front to back..not good for use old folk

I've actually never made a starter but mostly use dry yeast. The few times I used White Labs I just pitched 2 packs. I figure I reuse it so many times I get my moneys worth.
Nice Avatar,,,Seen Maiden many times. I think Seventh Son was my first show back in the day when Metal ruled the world up until their last show a few months back...good shows except they always play their newest album practically front to back..not good for use old folk

Up the Irons!

Back