First time making a starter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zerocool5878

Reaction score
I plan to brew a batch tomorrow and got caught you doing some things the last few days and wasn't able to make my starter any earlier. I just made my starter 1.2 liter starter giving me about 271B cells to pitch in an ale with estimated OG of 1.059.

My question is If I brew the batch tomorrow morning (Sunday) and get it into the fermenting vessel, would it be ok to pitch the yeast when I get home from work Monday? I was planning on leaving it on the stir plate until tomorrow night (24hrs) then put it in the fridge. When I get home decant and pitch Monday around 5pm so it will have cold crashed for 19hrs. I do have a stainless air stone that i could put in the wort for 20 min or so before pitching if that would help.

That kind of process works for me. I do that to allow time to settle traub out before I pitch. Personally, I would let it grow until Mon am. My starters will settle in the fridge in about 8 hrs, depending on the yeast-for decent flocculators.

That kind of process works for me. I do that to allow time to settle traub out before I pitch. Personally, I would let it grow until Mon am. My starters will settle in the fridge in about 8 hrs, depending on the yeast-for decent flocculators.
Thanks for the reply. Yeah i can leave it until monday morning before I leave. That will be a bit over 30hrs on the stir plate

I plan to brew a batch tomorrow and got caught you doing some things the last few days and wasn't able to make my starter any earlier. I just made my starter 1.2 liter starter giving me about 271B cells to pitch in an ale with estimated OG of 1.059.

My question is If I brew the batch tomorrow morning (Sunday) and get it into the fermenting vessel, would it be ok to pitch the yeast when I get home from work Monday? I was planning on leaving it on the stir plate until tomorrow night (24hrs) then put it in the fridge. When I get home decant and pitch Monday around 5pm so it will have cold crashed for 19hrs. I do have a stainless air stone that i could put in the wort for 20 min or so before pitching if that would help.

Aerate your wort well and consider that batch of wort to be nothing but a step up for the yeast starter. Yeast will propagate in the fermenter just as it would in a "shaken not stirred" starter. By noon Monday the beer will be well on its way.

Bit late to offer advice, but I see the others have done well on that front.
My question is, how did everything turn out? Did your yeast take off to a good start?

Back