First time making a starter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

Zerocool5878

Reaction score
I plan to brew a batch tomorrow and got caught you doing some things the last few days and wasn't able to make my starter any earlier. I just made my starter 1.2 liter starter giving me about 271B cells to pitch in an ale with estimated OG of 1.059.

My question is If I brew the batch tomorrow morning (Sunday) and get it into the fermenting vessel, would it be ok to pitch the yeast when I get home from work Monday? I was planning on leaving it on the stir plate until tomorrow night (24hrs) then put it in the fridge. When I get home decant and pitch Monday around 5pm so it will have cold crashed for 19hrs. I do have a stainless air stone that i could put in the wort for 20 min or so before pitching if that would help.

PberBob

Student of the Dark Arts
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
That kind of process works for me. I do that to allow time to settle traub out before I pitch. Personally, I would let it grow until Mon am. My starters will settle in the fridge in about 8 hrs, depending on the yeast-for decent flocculators.

OP
OP
Z

Zerocool5878

Reaction score
That kind of process works for me. I do that to allow time to settle traub out before I pitch. Personally, I would let it grow until Mon am. My starters will settle in the fridge in about 8 hrs, depending on the yeast-for decent flocculators.
Thanks for the reply. Yeah i can leave it until monday morning before I leave. That will be a bit over 30hrs on the stir plate

RM-MN

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I plan to brew a batch tomorrow and got caught you doing some things the last few days and wasn't able to make my starter any earlier. I just made my starter 1.2 liter starter giving me about 271B cells to pitch in an ale with estimated OG of 1.059.

My question is If I brew the batch tomorrow morning (Sunday) and get it into the fermenting vessel, would it be ok to pitch the yeast when I get home from work Monday? I was planning on leaving it on the stir plate until tomorrow night (24hrs) then put it in the fridge. When I get home decant and pitch Monday around 5pm so it will have cold crashed for 19hrs. I do have a stainless air stone that i could put in the wort for 20 min or so before pitching if that would help.

Aerate your wort well and consider that batch of wort to be nothing but a step up for the yeast starter. Yeast will propagate in the fermenter just as it would in a "shaken not stirred" starter. By noon Monday the beer will be well on its way.

Iowa Brewer

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Bit late to offer advice, but I see the others have done well on that front.
My question is, how did everything turn out? Did your yeast take off to a good start?