First time bottler

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I put the date that it was bottled on the cap and I write something abbreviated on the cap to ID the beer (BW = barley wine, IIPA - double ipa, etc) then write the same thing on the top of the recipe in my recipe book so I can go back and look at details of the brew day and/or recipe (I write the recipe out, take detailed notes including date, who was there if anyone, in a spiral notebook for reference).

I set aside time to bulk clean/sanitize a bunch of bottles. Then they go on my bottle tree that can hold 90 bottles and there they wait until I bottle again. My bottle tree comes up to about my waist so I use my Vinator that sits conveniently on top of it to sanitize as I go.

Take a bottle from the tree, sanitize it (Vinator), fill it, repeat. I arrange my workspace like I arrange my drums. In a tight semi circle. That way there is minimal movement and everything is close at hand.

I put my bottle caps in the Vinator and put a cap on each filled bottle so when I'm ready to cap I just have to move the bottles from the towel to the bench capper.

I have since moved to kegging BUT I still bottle many batches either in part or whole. Mostly my cold weather line ups that benefit from xtra time in the bottle like stouts, barley wines, etc. I also bottle to share with friends, family, clients.

Buy a bench capper. I got lucky and found a Ferrari Super Agata used. I think they're around $50 new but way more than worth it in terms of safety and convenience/speed.

Buy a Vinator too. Again, way more than worth it in terms of safety and convenience/speed.

I add priming sugar to the bottling bucket and use a spring loaded bottling wand. Bucket on a crate or shorter bucket for gravity, cue up some music, and away I go.

It'll take a few times going thru the process to figure out what works best for you. The fun part, at least for me, is refining the process until it's streamlined to my liking.

Curious as to why pull the bottle up to the wand?
Thanks.

Maybe I'm not explaining it well. But when I starting, I thought I should set the bottle down, and put the wand/tubing into it.

I did it the way this fellow does at this point in this (grainy) video. 1:27 in

It may be preference, but get a stool, and do it that way, and you only really need one hand to do it, and it is holding hte beer bottle, not wrangling hoses and knocking things over.

If you bottle from the fermenter be SURE you have a pinch clamp on the hose.

I had something get in the spring valve in my bottling wand which prevented it
from closing. Only choice I had was to lift the wand above the bucket which
caused back-flow and stirred up all the crap in the bottom of the fermentor.

Been brewing since 1990 and have bottled every batch. I enjoy doing it. Seems
that if you keg you still have to clean hoses, taps, worry about running out of
CO2, bad gaskets, bad pin/ball fittings. You also have to have space for the
kegs, CO2 cylinders, and the kegerator (I've had seven cases of beer stacked
before, small footprint!). Space has always been a problem for
me. Small apartments, small houses. Only real advantage I see to kegging is
ease of serving but, how hard is it to open a bottle?

Also, I do a lot of 2 to 3 gallon batches. This alone eliminates a lot of bottling
work.

All the Best,
D. White

There are two things I do that I don't see mentioned above. Since I don't label, I use a different color cap for each batch and record the color in the notes section of my brewing software.
Also I place a blank cap on each bottle as soon as it is filled (keeps out the fruit flies) then I cap them all at once when done filling.
I use different colored caps too

I just have my bucket on the table with a bin below in case i have overflow or drips. I have also use this to dump out any starsan accumulated in bottom of the bottle just before filling. Biggest improvement was attaching the bottling wand to spigot. Made everything easier and faster and less messy.

Only real advantage I see to kegging is
ease of serving but, how hard is it to open a bottle?

Also, I do a lot of 2 to 3 gallon batches. This alone eliminates a lot of bottling
work.

Same boat - most of my batches are sub-3gallons so bottling isn't an issue. I would say the primary advantage is that you can go from fermenter to belly a lot faster when kegging. Also, you maintain a temperature of the beer so it's always available. Bottled beer should be refrigerated for at least a day or two before consumption. So, there are definitely advantages, but bottling is easy enough :)

Last edited:
The one thing that made it easier for me was getting someone to help. I get my wife or son to push down on the bottling wand while I feed them more bottles and cap the full ones. It sure is a time saver.

Back