First time AG - What to brew

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NZLunchie

Reaction score
So I have issues and need some assistance...

I want to brew at least 2 brews for my birthday in May.
I've only done extract brews, some kits and some with grains, but I want to jump into All Grain.

I have a couple of pots, but I can get access to at least one 50L keggle if need be.

Just want to know if you guys think a 31L and 11.5L pots would be good enough to get started?

I've checked out DeathBrewers Easy Stovetop All-Grain Brewing and found that it could be possible...I guess I just want some reassurance :p

I don't have a chiller and was thinking the no chill method would work well for me until I can get a chiller.

So my questions are:
1. Can I go AG with the gear above?
2. What recipes do you recommend to get a start?

I like Stout, Porter and APA, so something in those categories, but I'm easy like a Sunday morning :p

Using your 31L pot and a paint strainer bag or a fine mesh nylon bag would let you go all grain with the BIAB system. There is a ton (or is that tonne?;)) of info on here about it. I've done over 20 batches that way and love it. I did buy my own grain mill since the LHBS doesn't have one but that was an inexpensive piece of equipment that has paid back quickly with the difference in the price of grain instead of extract. I got one like this:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00647YS5G/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

Last edited by a moderator:
I use an 8gal kettle to boil 6.5-7gal preboil, you just have to watch it when it first boils since it can foam over. be ready with a spraybottle of water or turn down the flame until it breaks. Then its smooth sailing.

Congrats on the bday in May (I'll be 50 that month) and for moving to AG, you'll enjoy it.

Thanks guys. @Lennie, it'll be my 30th :rockin:

Guess I should just do it right. Take the plunge right?
I looked at BIAB and looks to be a better system for me at the moment, so will invest in some bags and go from there.

Suggestions on a simple recipe to break into AG anyone?

I will be doing my first AG batch next weekend with my rectangle cooler mash tun I just built for cheap. I'm going to do a SMaSH with 10lbs Vienna malt and 3.5-4ozs of Northern Brewer hops. I figure it will be easy and a good way to learn about the process and ingredients.

Back