First sour when to add fruit?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bigplunkett

Reaction score
Ive been brewing 3 years this is my first sour attempt.
8# 2row
2# vienna
1# flacked wheat
.5#acid malt

Step mash 25 min 149 rest of 60min at 154

Boiled 30min
15 min .25 oz tettnang for 4 ibu

Yeast imperial organic sour batch ( 1 lacto 1 sacc 2brett) no pedio.

How long shpuld i wait to add fruit i was thinking up to 5# of black berries or currants if i can get them.
The guy at the brewing supply says hes had this done and bottled in 6mths should i wait till that to add fruit?

Attachments

• 20180321_113901.jpg
    20180321_113901.jpg
    149.1 KB · Views: 56
For a traditional sour you probably want to wait a few months for sure. Traditional sours can sit in carboys for 6-12 months easily...usually 12 months if not longer.

Ideally if you want to maintain the fruitiness you'll want to do it approximately 1-2ish months before bottling (if you're going that route). I have mine on berries/fruits for the last month, and the fruit itself is done.

I'll rack it back off the fruit, see where it's at, and then decide whether I need a second secondary on the same fruit. I think with all berries you'll want to remove the beer from the berries when the berries turn white (that's certainly the case with raspberries).

Ok thanks so probly add it around 5mths depending on the taste. I was thinkg 3 to 5 lbs for 5.5 gal or might i need more?

Ok thanks so probly add it around 5mths depending on the taste. I was thinkg 3 to 5 lbs for 5.5 gal or might i need more?

It depends highly on the fruit, but that's a reasonable start. I'd go 5 pounds or more if it were me, but we all have different opinions :)

Considering splitting it off into two batches?

+1 for adding fruit on the back-end. i like to let my sours age out until they are completed and would make good sours as a stand-alone beers (without the fruit). so 6 months minimum before adding fruit, i almost always go 12 months.

quantity: a rule of thumb that has worked for me is 2 pounds of fruit per gallon. different fruits will require different amounts. currants are intense, so i'd back off on those (maybe 1.5, or even 1, lb/gal). less intense fruit like strawberries might need 2.5 to 3. most berries and stonefruit are good at 2.

I have done a fruited sour once, and I added blueberries (2lbs/gal) 9 months in, anticipating bottling at 12. Well, I waited longer to be sure it was completely done since it the fruit sugar kicked it up again, and didn't bottle until ~17/18 months. The taste test at bottling time was quite good, and I impressed myself being that it was my first attempt. Letting it carb up slow, so haven't cracked a bottle yet.

I have done a fruited sour once, and I added blueberries (2lbs/gal) 9 months in, anticipating bottling at 12. Well, I waited longer to be sure it was completely done since it the fruit sugar kicked it up again, and didn't bottle until ~17/18 months.
fruit contains only simple sugars and the brett will chew through it in a month, maybe 2 tops.

Latest posts

Back