First Scoby - damaged shipment Help!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

leakygutgal_newbie

Reaction score
Okay
20211029_174619.jpg

This Scoby just arrived: Brine was dripping everywhere inside the huge box Amazon supplied. I've never tried to brew anything before, but the scoby itself looks okay to me and there's about 4 ounces of liquid left. Can I salvage this? And if so, how?
Should I just put everything in the clean brewing jar with sweet tea? The remaining fluid smells like apple cider vinegar but haven't tasted it lol! I have organic ACV with the 'mother' on hand here tonight and I just had some GT's kombucha delivered from Walmart but it's kinda cold. Anybody have suggestions to salvage this project? Thanks.

I think you’re fine. Make a base sweet tea with standard tea/sugar ratios and add the scoby with the remaining liquid. Scoby’s, in my experience, are relatively hardy

fwiw, all of my scoby’s have come from GT original. They build quickly

Maybe you want to do 1/2 gal first as a starter as 1 gal would need 8-12 oz of booch starter.
The scoby is incidental as one will form from using the booch fluid as a starter.

Back