First post -- Hops suggestions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mrbergers

Reaction score
Ok, first post here (probably many more to come). Live in Indiana and have plenty of full sun acreage for growing my own hops.

I like the Pilsner style beers almost exclusively (must be the German in me) and
lately really like the Mexican beers like Negra Modelo special and Bohemia -- St Pauli, Grolsch etc have always appealed to me but curretn favorites are the 2 mexican brews I mentioned.

SO --

If that's what I like, tell me what specific hop rhizomes to buy please.

I would imagine, here in Indiana that I could plant soon?

Thanks !

Tettnang, Hallertau, Saaz, and Spalt are the four "Noble" varieties!

They are low bitter high aroma. If you want the more "classic" pilsner or baviarian lager flavor than they are the hops of choice!

Alright then -- thanks.

Sounds like all hops are robust plants, I wonder, are different species any more fickle than others?

And are they an annual, or do they come up every year after winter?

Yes but it also depends on climate terrain, ground conditions etc. I currently grow 9 different varieties in my backyard and had issues with Mt Hood. Which are known for being difficult. I heard the same about Saaz and a few others. Cascade should grow about anywhere, Centennial and Chinook did really well for me. You do have a lot of options. Hallertau would work with some of the beer styles your going for and I had no issues growing them either. Hops for the most part are a weed type of plant and will grow even if left on their own once the roots are established. They will die back once the temps drop in winter and start growing again in the spring.

And welcome to the forums!

beerloaf

Love the flavor of Saaz -- but looks like it's more difficult to grow? Tettnang may be my best choice for a beginner? and I like the fact that it seems very popular.

(1) Tettnang (2) Liberty (3) Hallertau from what I've read so far. (EZ to grow and high yield is a priority for now).

Is Hops an invasive plant?

Will it migrate very much with it's underground rhizomes?

Some rhizome plants you can't get rid of. (chameleon plant etc)

Hops are invasive, but mine haven't spread too far too quickly

Time and control techniques will tell the final story

Invasive like "why did I plant that ****?"

Do they send up shoots everywhere eventually? Like 20' away?

Back