First now second brew...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GrizzlyRed

Reaction score
Hi guys,
I have just tasted my first homebrew and what a sweet sound it was when I opened the bottle and heard that great sound fffsssttt( best I could do).
I was proud, proud that I didn't screw something up and happy that I think I have found a hobby that could last a long while.
Now, I love coffee and was wondering if someone could direct me to a good recipe that incorporates this into the brew. Am I biting off more than I can chew at this point? Should I stick with a couple more kits before diving into a "regular" recipe? Is there a good web site that has recipes?

I have gotten good advice from this forums. I toasted all of you with that first brew!

Thx,
Grizz

That sounds like it would be fun but I never heard of it and wouldn't know how about going about it. I would probably just mess everything up and end up pouring a cup of coffee into my pint glass of beer. Could be good though. Coffee is good, Beer is Good, Could they be good together?
Congrats on your first homebrew, what kind of beer is it anyways?

There's an article on BYO that talks about brewing with coffee. I actually have a beer fermenting right now that I am going to add coffee to when I rack it to secondary. Apparently there are a few ways to brew with coffee, and putting it in the secondary seemed like the best option for what I am trying achieve. Read the article for more info. Best of luck.

-AJ

Check the recipes section under stouts:

Stout - Home Brew Forums

theres quite a few recipes with coffee there.

It shouldn't be a problem for you, I think the best way to do it is to brew your beer as normal, then rack to secondary with some cold-brewed coffee.

Buzz Beer from the Drew Carey Show had coffee in it... Yeah, I know it isn't a real beer, but I always thought it would be good.

Here is a recipe I cooked up. https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/og-too-high-wrong-yeast-82371/ Its based on an oatmeal and a sweet stout. I tweaked around the chocolate and black patent grains to get the color/bitterness like I wanted. According to Palmer's manual you add coffee after fermentation. Use expresso if you have the machine, french press if not - or you can follow Palmer's tip and steep beans in the fridge for several hours the day before.

You'll see lots of problems with the implementation - don't judge the recipe by that. You can ask around for some tweaks if you wish.

We bottled the brew this week-end and liked the taste - even un-carbonated. Really wondered would it would have been like with the correct yeast, no grain boiling and the proper amount of molasses (I don't you we effed up the implementation remember).

Its my nightmare brew - LBHS messed up the yeast - I was too new to do a starter - we drank too much and botched the molasses and didn't know not to boil the grains and I still think its going to be a good drink. Ask me in 3 weeks when we sample the first bottle.

fffssstt...the sound of happiness. I just bottled a batch of Pale Ale. What did I learn? Having my wife help with the bottling is a must! I lost at least 24 ounces on the floor, which is not a waste as many may assume. Kaya (our dog) is now happy and drunk on homebrew!:drunk:

Back