First fermentation with several kinds of sugar

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ElliotCH

NerdNewbyBrew
Reaction score
Hello brewers,

Is it possible to use several kinds of sugar as Belgium blond candy sugar with liquid blond malt extract for the first fermentation? I haven't find any topics related to this.

I am a bit afraid that the yeast will only ferment one or the other and that the abv% will be too low.

If you're worried, hold back the candy (or half of it) until the fermentation slows down. So the yeast doesn't get lazy and ignore the more complex malt sugars like maltotriose. But the reason you haven't read anything about it is, it's generally not a problem :)

Doesn't really matter to the yeast, it will devour any source of sugar you add. It doesn't really seem to affect the flavor either unless you're using something that has other flavor compounds that remain after the sugar is gone (e.g. molasses, maple syrup etc)

hi all, thanks for these clarifications and your replies.

I guess that adding a different sugar during the first fermentation requires to add also some yeast and that it can therefore take additional time?

Elliot

Hi all,

For those interested about mixing candico sugar and maltose (have to be careful about proportions), I have tasted it after 1 week of priming and it has a very sour sugary taste surely coming from the liquid blond maltose and a bubble gum smell probably due to the temperature fluctuations and the extra first fermentation maturation time (10C-18C, 6 weeks).

I accidentally missed the measures in one beer so I added 40% of table sugar for boost ABV. The beer was not great, but it was not bad and everything was consumed.

I accidentally missed the measures in one beer so I added 40% of table sugar for boost ABV. The beer was not great, but it was not bad and everything was consumed.

I am curious about your beer. What was the OG/FG/ABV of that beer? How was the mouthfeel and body? I have been working on a few experimental batches to learn for myself on how stuff like mash temps, ABV, dextrins, etc. impact mouthfeel of beers.

BIAB
OG=1.034, FG=1.004, ABV=4.1%
Yeast: BE-134 (80%)
Grain: mostly wheat malt, little CaraRed
Hop: Columbus, FWH

Beer is dry, pretty bitter. The foam is a bit thin but is not without foam.
Without any cider or some bad taste and smell.

pivo25 - 29.3.2019. (iz gajbe).jpg

I want to try making a mead-like beverage using half honey and half dark invert syrup. I think it will be kinda like bochet (which I've never tried)
It's not terribly high on my todo list, but I'll get to it eventually. ;)

I want to try making a mead-like beverage using half honey and half dark invert syrup. I think it will be kinda like bochet (which I've never tried)
It's not terribly high on my todo list, but I'll get to it eventually. ;)

Use wine yeast for this.

Use wine yeast for this.

I will. Is K1V-1116 okay? I have a lot of packets of that. Or should I use 71B, or a champagne yeast like Premier Cuvee or 1118?

A pint of honey and a pint of dark syrup in a gallon of water should give an OG of about 1.110 -- about 15% potential ABV. (I bought a pint of honey today now that I'm thinking about it)

I will. Is K1V-1116 okay? I have a lot of packets of that. Or should I use 71B, or a champagne yeast like Premier Cuvee or 1118?

A pint of honey and a pint of dark syrup in a gallon of water should give an OG of about 1.110 -- about 15% potential ABV. (I bought a pint of honey today now that I'm thinking about it)

I can not help you too much because I do not have a winemaker experience. Once I tried to do a soda and that's all. I think every wine yeast works by fermenting only simple sugars, meaning that it will eat all sugar, and it makes almost 100% of honey and invert sugar.

Back