First brew ingredients

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gvan84

Reaction score
So I just picked up some ingredients for my first brew. 10lbs pale 2 row, 2lbs carapils, 3/4lbs crystal 60, and some cluster Hops as well as east Kent goldings.

Just kinda modified a recipe I found based on what was available. Would this work out well? Anything to take out of there?

Sure it can.
I assume your grain is already crushed, or you have a mill to crush it yourself right?

Maybe share your hop schedule (amounts of which added when) for more specific advice on your brew.

It would also help to know what kind of beer you're trying to make. Guessing on amounts and hops I'm thinking English IPA? The 2 lb of carapils is a lot. It's not going to ruin it or anything but I'm not sure why you would want 2 lbs of it especially as there is already crystal in the recipe.

What technique are you using for mashing? Are you going to do anything with you water, use RO, etc?

Sure it can.
I assume your grain is already crushed, or you have a mill to crush it yourself right?

Maybe share your hop schedule (amounts of which added when) for more specific advice on your brew.
Yes my LHBS milled it up for me. Doing half Oz. Cluster hops for 60 min. 1oz golding at 10 min.

It would also help to know what kind of beer you're trying to make. Guessing on amounts and hops I'm thinking English IPA? The 2 lb of carapils is a lot. It's not going to ruin it or anything but I'm not sure why you would want 2 lbs of it especially as there is already crystal in the recipe.

What technique are you using for mashing? Are you going to do anything with you water, use RO, etc?
Well I may have mixed up what I needed and added carapils to my list, I can leave it out and save it for my next batch. As far as style, I'm trying for an amber ale like one a brewery near me makes

Well I may have mixed up what I needed and added carapils to my list, I can leave it out and save it for my next batch. As far as style, I'm trying for an amber ale like one a brewery near me makes
Oh and I'm Doing Biab no sparge

Ah, okay. For an amber I'd probably swap out the carapils and add some additional darker crystal/caramel. At just 5% C60 with the rest base/carapils it may be more like a pale ale.

I'd suggest using about 8 oz of the Carapils for this batch and each batch you make until it is used up, then forget about it. A well done mash doesn't need Carapils. With the rest of the ingredients you make beer. It might not be to style but I've found that I happen to like some of my beers that don't really fit a style. I never place beers in competition so style doesn't matter but taste does.

Latest posts

Back