First Batch of Mead (Cherry Question)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

B3nj@m!n

Reaction score
Hello! I'm Ben and about to make my first batch of Mead. I'm following Schramm's recipe from his book "The Compleat Meadmaker" and doing the Oblascinka Cherry Riesling Pyment.

I know I can't get those cherries but my wallet is trying to find a way to get tart cherries at an affordable price, considering I need 5 lbs. I've found a few options but the only actual way for me to get 5 lbs. all at once without buying multiple packages is in the dried form.

Are dried cherries okay for mead making? How should I prep them for the recipe? I saw maybe more dried fruit is required? If so, how much more than 5 lbs. to try for an equivalent flavor profile?

Any and all help is welcome!
Thank you!
DriedCherry.jpg

I've used dried cherries in beer.
You need less, not more, since probably 60-70% of fresh cherry is water by weight.
I think 1-2lbs is plenty for 5 gal.

I suggest using dried cherries without added oil or preservatives, if you can find them. Added sugar isn't the best either, but get whatever fits your budget.

I don't think any "prep" is necessary, unless you can slice them somehow, then go for it.

Welcome to HBT!

Edit: One more thing ... Cherry pits add flavor too. If you want that flavor, you can add pits separately.

Last edited:
RPh_Guy pretty much nailed it on the head there. I can confirm, less is more with dried. And try to avoid any dried fruits coated in sort of oil or sugar. As close to O’naturale as possible is best

For your first batch I would suggest making a plain base mead and then adding tart cherry juice to taste as you consume it.
Focus your attention on your staggered nutrient additions and degassing the mead. Those techniques have changed somewhat since "The Compleat Meadmaker" was published.
For future batches you can try additives that stabliize the mead when you add flavors, but for the first attempt, I'd keep it really simple.
Also, just make 1 or 2 gallon batches until you figure out what you are doing.
Fermented cherries don't taste anything like what you expect cherries to taste like.
I've seen tart cherry juice and concentrate in my local Weiss supermarket, you can probably find it locally or order it from Walmart and they'll deliver to your local store for no extra charge. Do a taste test , then mix up a few bottles at a time with the cherry juice and keep in your refrigerator and drink it before the yeast starts fermenting the sugar in cherry juice.
Another way is to figure how much of the cherry juice you like per glass and just throw a shot of it in a tumbler and pour in your mead.
There's nothing wrong with "blending in the glass", you don't have to make a ready to drink product like you would buy at the store.
Using this method, you can dial in the flavor you like.
You can also try other additives/flavors with the base mead.

U could also try tart cherry juice concentrate from www.brownwoodacres.com

I use their concentrates all the time -- Post Fermentation.

Cheers & Good luck [emoji111]

Welcome Ben

Some great advice already provided by others above.

The first mead will be a learning process and so will the 10th and 100th.

More complex or more ingredients other than yeast, honey and water just add a bit of complexity. I have had very good success with dried fruit. The flavor is more intense 5 pounds is a lot! Consider adding them to secondary. It allows you to work primary with the base ingredients as mentioned by MD above and you have the option of splitting the mead to see how the berries take to it and how your base mead ages and the differences between the two.

Enjoy the Journey!

Where I used to live I gave up on buying tart cherries and planted a couple of trees. It took a couple of years but I ended up with plenty.

Latest posts

Back