First batch- fermenting question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

travlinScott

Reaction score
I brewed my first batch yesterday. Now it's been in the fermenter over 24 hours. I'm not seeing it actively bubbling per se, but there are little tiny bubbles on the side of the air lock.

I not panicking really or anything but I'm just curious if the little bubbles on the side of airlock mean anything in particular and how long I should let the ferment go before being concerned about not seeing any real activity. 36 hours?

Thanks

Relax and read the sticky about 72 hours. It is extremely rare for yeast not to work. The yeast will work, they will make beer. The tiny bubbles really don't mean anything.

Relax and read the sticky about 72 hours. It is extremely rare for yeast not to work. The yeast will work, they will make beer. The tiny bubbles really don't mean anything.

Yea OP relax and have a homebrew. Oh wait you can't it's your first batch.

:D

So I checked the temp in the room where the fermenter is sitting - It's about 61 in there and at night it might be falling a few degrees below that. Should I move to some place a little warmer?
I know I know RDWHAHB. But.......

The yeast is WYEAST 1056 which supposedly has a optimum range of 60 - 72. So I'm wondering if the cool temps are going to stress it too much.

That is a little cool but not too cool. The wort will get warmer during the active part of the fermentation adding 5-10 degrees.

If you have a thermometer on the fermenter you can watch it and keep it in the mid sixties.

A towel covering the fermenter may let it warm a little. As stated; 72 hours before panicking. At the low temperatures it may take longer to start.

Also how much and what strain of yeast you pitched will have an effect.

It was Wyeast 1056. I did a starter but it was my first one so, who knows if it was any good. :)

No really panicking so much, but ya never know unless you ask.

I don't know how it made bubbles on the side of the airlock, but I assume it's condensation. As long as there is water in the airlock that you added when you put the airlock on there, nothing can get in there to harm your brew so don't worry about it.

I don't know how it made bubbles on the side of the airlock, but I assume it's condensation. As long as there is water in the airlock that you added when you put the airlock on there, nothing can get in there to harm your brew so don't worry about it.

Good to know. Thanks for the info!

Let it chill for the night. You will wake up tomorrow morning and guess what? Your going to go strait to the fermenter and check for bubbles.
We all do it and you will too. I'm willing to bet it will have some activity in the morning.

Congrats on the first brew! Now go to bed. Starring at it won't make bubbles appear!

Back