first batch done fermenting? i took gravity readings

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

laserghost

Reaction score
Hello – got an American amber fermenting right now that was brewed on May 5 (extract + specialty grains). Used WLP001 yeast, and it was fermenting hard within 12 hours. My OG was 1.054 (recipe is 1.055) and the recipe's final gravity estimates 1.012. Fermenter is sitting in a water bath 65–70 deg.

I was planning on leaving this in the primary for a month total, including a 5–6 day dry hop that I was going to add today. But I've read that fermentation should be complete before dry hopping. Here are my gravity readings so far, and all but the last one were taken at about room temp and adjusted on the scale – the last one was taken at a chilled 55 degrees, then adjusted:

1.020 on 5/12 | 1.0178 on 5/18 | 1.018 on 5/25 | 1.0162 on 5/27 (read at 55 degrees)

I know that I can't bend the fermentation schedule to mine, and I don't want to rush anything, but I'm wondering if I should take another reading back at room temp in a couple of days? I'm trying not to take too many readings, but curious about my first fermentation. Still just a few bubbles at the top, but mostly clear at the top and the hydro samples are pretty clear.

Seems like this should be a relatively easy process, taking 3 consecutive readings. I thought this last one was gonna hold steady with the previous two at about 1.018 but it seems to have dropped a couple points, if the reading was accurate.

Thoughts?

It's probably done.

Why is the last sample at 55 degrees, if the fermenter is at 65 degrees? I'd just take a sample out of the fermenter and read it that way. Then do it again tomorrow- if it's the same, it's done. No need for temperature corrections or anything that way.

There is some error in your readings, obviously, as a reading can not go UP during/after fermentation as your third reading did although it's "close enough".

I"d just go ahead and dryhop now. Your SG isn't going to change much any more, and it's "done enough".

the last sample was at 55 because i just wanted to taste the sample chilled. at 55 it was actually closer to the zero correction temp of 59. i think the error probably comes from eyeballing the hydrometer and reading on the miniscus and trying to measure +/- a half point or so.

i sort of estimated the second and third readings to be the same at 1.080

so i could just go ahead and dry hop and then bottle in 6 days, or wait a few more days to dry hop and push bottling back a few days ...

the last sample was at 55 because i just wanted to taste the sample chilled. at 55 it was actually closer to the zero correction temp of 59. i think the error probably comes from eyeballing the hydrometer and reading on the miniscus and trying to measure +/- a half point or so.

i sort of estimated the second and third readings to be the same at 1.080

so i could just go ahead and dry hop and then bottle in 6 days, or wait a few more days to dry hop and push bottling back a few days ...

I'd go ahead and dryhop it today- it's done or at least so close as to be done.

Latest posts

Back