First All Grain/ First Post - Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Durne13

Reaction score
Brewed my first all grain yesterday and first non-store kit. In the process I may have went a little overboard with the hops. I had 10 oz of Citra at my disposal. In hindsight... minimally, I would not do the 45 minute hop addition in the future.

5.5 gallon Recipe:
12 lbs 2-Row
1.25 lb Munich Malt
0.5 lb Crystal 40L
0.5 lb CaraPils Malt

Hops:

0.38 oz Warrior at 60 minute
0.5 oz Citra at 45 minute
1.25 oz Citra at 15 minute
0.5 oz Citra at 12.5 minute
1.25 oz Citra at 10 minute
1.25 oz Citra at 5 minute
1.25 oz Citra at 1 minute

I am planning on dry hopping 1 oz of Citra at day 7 of fermentation.

Question: Is this going to be drinkable? Should I dry hop? If so, how much should I use? I still have 4 oz of Cintra.

Thank you!!

Really bitter brew. You might have to let this age awhile. You'll know during bottling.

I made a chinook ipa with a somewhat similar grain bill/hop additions and it turned out fine. I think it was a 2 1/2 gallon batch with about 4 oz in the boil and 2 dry hopped. I'd dry hop with just a couple to be safe

Thanks to both of you. I brewed yesterday, so was thinking of buying some DME to boil and add to fermenter to try and increase body and sugars. Thoughts?

Thanks to both of you. I brewed yesterday, so was thinking of buying some DME to boil and add to fermenter to try and increase body and sugars. Thoughts?

Sounds like a bad idea. I'd leave it alone. Did you happen to measure an OG? BTW I've never heard of Cintra Hops, do you mean Citra?

I doubt there's any need. What was your mash temp? Did you take an SG reading of your first runnings? How about pre-boil and post-boil OG?

Brewed my first all grain yesterday and first non-store kit. In the process I may have went a little overboard with the hops. I had 10 oz of Cintra at my disposal. In hindsight... minimally, I would not do the 45 minute hop addition in the future.

5.5 gallon Recipe:
12 lbs 2-Row
1.25 lb Munich Malt
0.5 lb Crystal 40L
0.5 lb CaraPils Malt

Hops:

0.38 oz Warrior at 60 minute
0.5 oz Citra at 45 minute
1.25 oz Citra at 15 minute
0.5 oz Citra at 12.5 minute
1.25 oz Cintra at 10 minute
1.25 oz Cintra at 5 minute
1.25 oz Cintra at 1 minute

I am planning on dry hopping 1 oz of Cintra at day 7 of fermentation.

Question: Is this going to be drinkable? Should I dry hop? If so, how much should I use? I still have 4 oz of Cintra.

Thank you!!

If you are planning to dry hop on an arbitrary day, choose something more like 14 instead of 7. If your yeast aren't done and the CO2 is still escaping it will carry off some of the aroma you are trying to add to the beer.

Mash temp was 155 oF. However, the temp was a little low (at first), so I added more water to get it up to temp. (another mistake made during the brew). So, the OG was supposed to be 1.062, but came out 1.052 instead. This was another reason I was thinking of adding DME. All in all, this was a good learning experience. Just seeing if there was anything I could do (at this late stage) to balance the beer to the hops.

Yes, it was Citra hops. Sorry.

Thanks to all!

Back