First All Grain Brew - Belgian Dark Strong

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SirSpectre

Reaction score
On Friday I am making the jump! First all grain, and first home made recipe. I was always partial to Belgian styles so i thought this will be a good one to start on. The plan in to take this recipe and experiment and refine until its just the way I like.

Recipe:

13lbs Pale 2 Row Belgian Pils
1.5lbs Caramunich
.66 lbs Special B
.33 lbs aromatic
1.5 lbs candi sugar
1 oz Hallertau/northern brewer (depends on what i can get) @ 60 min
1 oz E Kent Goldings at 5 min

300 B cells of Wyeast Labs 1214 (Belgain Abbey Ale/ Chimay strain)

153* 1 hour mash single infusion with no mash out 19 quarts. Fly Sparge w/ 3.5 gal @ 168*

Intended to be a 2 stage Ferment and as long as i can be patient for bottle age :p

I just made my mashtun with a square cooler and a copper manifold style. Stainless rest of the system.

Ignore the manifold. A fellow all grain brewer schooled me in my wrong ways and it has been fixed. (Only photos i have currently)
IMG_20150411_145308_zpsssatiost.jpg

IMG_20150411_145259_zpssuse9gv3.jpg

First step is ingredient shopping!

If any one has any advice or "OMG STOP NOW AND DO THIS" advice, I'm all ears!

I'd definitely mash at like 150. You've got a lot of unfermentables with those 3 lbs cara-malts. (may want to replace a pound of more of those with something traditional like wheat) BSDAs still have a pretty lean body relative to other dark beers like stouts.

Ahh you're right. Recommended no more than 10% in grain bill. Caramunich alone was 12%

Dropped munich to 1.5 lbs. Dropped biscuit completely.

Added 1 lb to pale malt

That looks pretty solid. My last BSDA was with the same yeast and was my best attempt yet. Bit of advice: use a blowoff tube. Seriously

Here's the recipe for reference if you do any more tweaking:
9.0 pilsner
2.0 Munich
1.0 torrified wheat
0.5 special B
0.5 caramunich
1.0 D90 candi syrup
1.0 D180 candi syrup

@60:1.0 styrian goldings
@20:2.0 saaz
@0: 1.0 saaz & 0.5 coriander & 0.5 sweet orange peel

pitch at mid 60s, let it free rise, bump up temp near end (low 80s) of fermentation if needed to get yeast to finish

Because of the pils you may want to consider a 2 step mash. I just bottled a BDSA that I mashed 131F and 150F. I've even done a 3 step at 131/145/158. It helps give you more fermentability (lower FG) and supposedly helps with the pils, although I have heard that it may not really be necessary with modern grains.

And definitely use a blowoff. I used the WLP Abbey Ale (Westmalle) with 3.5 gal in a 5 gal carboy and still almost blew the blowoff tube out. Eight inches of krausen! I did 3 days at 68F and then ramped up to 78F until the krausen fell. Then back to 68 for 3 weeks. Be sure to give the yeast plenty of time to finish. I do a minimum of 5 weeks in the fermenter. I had one Belgian that dropped 4 points between weeks 3 and 5. Enjoy!

Because of the pils you may want to consider a 2 step mash. I just bottled a BDSA that I mashed 131F and 150F. I've even done a 3 step at 131/145/158. It helps give you more fermentability (lower FG) and supposedly helps with the pils, although I have heard that it may not really be necessary with modern grains.

And definitely use a blowoff. I used the WLP Abbey Ale (Westmalle) with 3.5 gal in a 5 gal carboy and still almost blew the blowoff tube out. Eight inches of krausen! I did 3 days at 68F and then ramped up to 78F until the krausen fell. Then back to 68 for 3 weeks. Be sure to give the yeast plenty of time to finish. I do a minimum of 5 weeks in the fermenter. I had one Belgian that dropped 4 points between weeks 3 and 5. Enjoy!

Yikes!

Yeah I learned the power of blow off tube with my last batch of Hefewiezen. Blew nice smells and krausen all over my closet. Definitely going to use a blow off here. I tend to like lower fermentation temps. I fermented my recent tripel at 62* (!!!!!!) and it came out amazing. Took a few extra days though. This one, I am thinking 68* for 3-4 days and then down to the basement for remainder of primary. 2 months in secondary at room temp (66-70 usually) then room temp for bottle aging for a month, then basement for who knows how long.

I think a 2 step would be better as well, but I lack the equipment to do it. This is more of an experimental batch anyway. We'll see how it turns out. Starting up the burner in about 4 hours!

(also just got the grain. 15 lbs of grain is a lot more than i thought it was! 6 gallon bucket fills passed 4 gal mark!)

Brew night was a success!

My equipment profile in Beer Smith need some refining.

Mash temp was 152* 18 Quarts of water

My Pre-boil Gravity was 1.051 with 5.8ish gallons of wort. So like 42% efficiency? What can i do to get that higher? I used a batch sparge method.

OG after boil was 1.088. Estimated at 1.091. So not too shabby there.

Color was dead on what I wanted.

5.2 ish gallons to ferment for a while. Blow off tube installed.

Pretty happy with the OG and color results so far. Can't wait until its done.

Update:

Fermentation took place around 72 degrees. It was suspiciously fast. Finished in 4 days.

FG reading 1.012. Right on target and smells absolutely divine.

I'll be moving it to secondary tonight while the yeast is still in suspension and leaving it at room temp for a week or 2, then down to basement temp for a few weeks.

I got slightly impatient and decided to bottle after 5 weeks in secondary. Got 44 bottles out of it -1 due to dropping my case :(

Smells faintly of caramel, and tastes pretty good. A little grainy, and a little watery. Didn't smell or taste any fusels at all! I upped the Co2 vol a little more than i normally due. Hopefully get a better feel out of it. Going to leave it for a week and give it a taste with a little carbonation to it, then leave it to finish conditioning and aging for 2 months at least.

Yeah let it age. My strong belgians are pretty tasty after a month in the bottle, but its the ones I leave in my closet for 6months+ that are great

its been 2 months in the bottle and HOLY CRAP does it taste awesome! :rockin:

I can't believe the change it made from 6 weeks ago, to 4 weeks, to now. I'm not sure this is going to last long. Better make another batch and hide a few of this batch away for another 6-9 months!

nice, do yourself a favor and stash at least a 6pack away int he back of the closet. Out of sight out of mind.

Back