First AG...I'm going in!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ibbones

Reaction score
Getting ready for my first All Grain in a little bit.:) I want to thany all of ya'll for making it seem so easy and encourging all the people to try it. I have watched the videos from here and on youtube and now have the equipment to try.
I'm starting off making a Steam Beer. I have watched the "Easy All Grain" You tube video a dozen times and he was making a Steam beer so I thought it should be my first as well.
Here's my recipe:

11# Two Row
1/2 # Dark Crystal
1/2 # Med Crystal
1 1/2 oz Northern Brewer hops @ 60
1/2 oz Northers Brewer hops @ 15
1/2 oz Cascade Hops @ 0

I can't do a Lager so I'm going to use White Labs California Ale Yeast WLP001

Of course I will do the "No Chill" and make a starter from my own wort and pitch tomorrow.

Thanks again to all of ya'll!

One of the main points of a steam beer is to ferment using a lager yeast at ale temperatures, so there's no need to use wlp001.

Good luck! Remember, mistakes might happen but don't worry about them.

You could chuck the cascade get some san fran lager yeast and ferment in the low 60's, bam a California Common.

OK. at 9:00ish I put the water on to heat and pulled my stuff out. Got to mash at 9:38 to 10:38 and collected 3 gallons, Put my strick water in for the sparge and pulled out 3.5 gallons. Perfect. I was looking to get 6.5 to boil and end up with 5.5ish for the fermentor.
Got the hops put in on time and boiled for the one hour while I cleaned my mash tun out.
At flame out, I measured and had right at 5.5 gallons. Woohoo, can you hear me now. Too bad I forgot about the last gallon that stays in the bottom of the boil kettle. Drats! Added a little cold water to the winpak and now I am letting my wort cool so I can pitch tomorrow. Have a sample to check OG also cooling.

I was finished in 4 1/2 hours so what did I forget? It is a "no chill" so I didn't have to do that.

Jbbones... glad you did it. Sounds excellent. I will take credit for that :D

Really, excellent!

You sick little monkey!!!
You have no idea! ;)

Sorry, no pix and I am getting ready to pitch my little yeasties today. They are bubbling away but I might give them more time. When I open the Winpak, I will pull a sample and take a gravity reading.

My original gravity ended up at 1.044 I can live with that. The airlock is dancing away and it'll burn your nose hairs off to sniff it.

Congrats! Although, reppin' SF here, I'd say it's not a true steam beer unless you use a lager yeast (like WLP810). Though it looks like you've got a pretty bitchin' amber going.

Let us know how it turns out!

Congrats! Although, reppin' SF here, I'd say it's not a true steam beer unless you use a lager yeast (like WLP810). Though it looks like you've got a pretty bitchin' amber going.

Let us know how it turns out!
Yeah, I know about the ale yeast but as of yet, I have no way to lager. Still working on that part.

Yeah, I know about the ale yeast but as of yet, I have no way to lager. Still working on that part.

That's what's cool about Steam Beers - they use lager yeast but ferment at ale temps. I just did one that fermented at 62 (in the swamp cooler, no less), but lots of people do them higher, in the mid-60's. Give it a try! This is definitely not to knock your beer, though - it looks fantastic as is.

Latest posts

Back