First AG....burning sensation??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Flic

Reaction score
Well, I did my first AG a month ago (Edworts' Haus Pale Ale). Everything went really well with the brewing, seemed to hit the numbers and mash temps OK. Efficiency a little low in the mid-60's but other than that, nothing odd happened. I opened my first bottle at 3 weeks and although the beer tastes good, it leaves a moderate burning sensation in my mouth (tongue, back of throat). I used US-05 yeast and fermented at 65 degrees for 12 days. I cooled the beer down to 100 pretty quickly but did have a hard time getting down to pitching temp. I had stuck the fermenter in the fridge for a couple hours and pitched the yeast at 80 degrees. Just wondering if anyone knew what might cause this sensation??? :confused: Thanks!

Well, I did my first AG a month ago (Edworts' Haus Pale Ale).
I cooled the beer down to 100 pretty quickly but did have a hard time getting down to pitching temp. I had stuck the fermenter in the fridge for a couple hours and pitched the yeast at 80 degrees. Just wondering if anyone knew what might cause this sensation??? :confused: Thanks!

I think you've answered your own question. A one month old beer, possibly full of fusel alcohols from pitching at 80 degrees, sounds like "hot" to me.

It may mellow in a couple of weeks.

But lets say you pitch at 80 and then within 6 hours it is down to 70 or so, he said he fermented at 65, leaving me to beleive that it cooled further before fermentation really began.

But lets say you pitch at 80 and then within 6 hours it is down to 70 or so, he said he fermented at 65, leaving me to beleive that it cooled further before fermentation really began.

I ferment in a wine chiller set at 65 degrees. When it hit 80, I pitched and then it went to the chiller so I'm not sure how long it took to get to around 65. My second AG that I did 2 weeks ago was also pitched at 80 and fermented the same way so I'll have to see if I have the same problem with that. I'll be bottling that one this weekend. I'll give it a few weeks as I know it is still young. I just wasn't sure if that was a sign of something gone drastically wrong....

I've done it this way most of the time with no issues. My bet is it's just young and will be fine in a couple o' weeks.

While it does sound like fusels, it also sounds like astringency. I have never had fusels actually give me a burning sensation, just solventy tastes and hot (evaporative) sensations - but burning, no.
You may want to look check your ph, or your instrument, to ensure you are mashing close to 5.2. Also, you may want to check your sparge ph is not drifting above 6. Also that your mash out temp is not above 75C. Also, that you are not taking starch into your kettle - that is, you have complete conversion, and clear wort before you boil. If any of these are occuring then you may be extracting tannins/ polyphenols and obtaining this harshness.
It could be both yeast and this.

CHeers.

That is true, but if you pitch at 80 and fermentation begins within a couple of hours, it may very well hold that temperature closer to 80 for two days or so, until the bulk of fermentation is finished.

I always have my wort 70 degrees or lower when I pitch, because of this. It seems like it takes a long, long time to go from 80 to 65 by letting it cool off in the fermentation area.

Latest posts

Back